Re: A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Oct 18, 2012.

  1. On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Evan Driscoll <> wrote:
    > Python isn't as bad as C++ though (my main other language), where
    > 80 characters can go by *very* quickly.
    >
    > 2. Backslash continuations are *terrible*. I hate them with a firery
    > passion. :) A line could be 1000 characters long and it would be
    > better than a 120-character line backslash-continued.

    I have one mid-sized C++ project at work that's pretty much
    exclusively under my control. There is precisely ONE place where
    backslash continuations crop up, and that's long strings that want to
    be formatted on multiple lines (eg huge SQL statements) - in Python,
    they'd be trip-quoted. We don't have *any* backslash continuations in
    Python code.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Oct 18, 2012