Re: A garbage collector for C/C++ (Hans Boehm)

Discussion in 'C++' started by Erik Wikström, Apr 14, 2008.

  1. On 2008-04-14 16:36, Razii wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 00:43:31 -0700 (PDT), James Kanze
    > <> wrote:
    >>All I can say is that there are a number of users (myself
    >>included) who find the investment worthwhile enough to do it
    >>ourselves. It took me less than a day to get the Boehm
    >>collector up and running with g++ under Linux, and I don't have
    >>access to all of the inside knowledge of the implementors. And
    >>10%, over the life of a project, is a lot more than one man-day,
    >>even for a single project. 10% gain for 90% of the C++ projects
    >>almost certainly adds up to man-years.

    > Doesn't look that simple to me. I downloaded gc version 6.7 and 6.8.
    > nmake nodebug=1 gc.mak
    > makefile(389) : fatal error U1001: syntax error : illegal character
    > '{' in macro
    > I then downloaded 7.0 and by using the exact same command as posted
    > above (no change), it built fine. What a weird error.
    > Then I added the header file
    > #include "gc_cpp.h"
    > Changed the "new" to
    > Tree *t = new (GCNew) Tree;
    > cl /O2 -I"\gc-7.0\include" new.cpp "\gc-7.0\Release\gc.lib"
    > Compiled fine but when I ran the new.exe,
    > "This application has failed to start because MSVCR90.dll was not
    > found"
    > I found the file and put it in the same directory. Next error: An
    > application has made an error to load the C runtime library
    > incorrectly."
    > What the heck.

    Did you read README.QUICK and doc/README.win32?

    Erik Wikström
    Erik Wikström, Apr 14, 2008

  2. gpderetta

    gpderetta Guest

    On Apr 15, 11:23 pm, Razii <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:31:16 GMT, Erik Wikström
    > <> wrote:
    > >Did you read README.QUICK and doc/README.win32?

    > Yes, I did. Still unable to make it work. GC with compiled language is
    > not a good idea anyway. There should be a VM (not JVM or CLR but
    > special VM with JIT compiler designed specifically for C++). GC job
    > can be handled by VM and people will have a choice to run C++ software
    > compiled to bytecode (more portable) that runs on a VM.

    Use LLVM if you want an (optional) VM. It does just-in-time/ahead-of-
    time compilation.
    It has a powerful, profile-guided link-time and run-time optimizer and
    it uses gcc front end, so compatibility with the standard is pretty
    It doesn't have a big user base yet, so it might still have some bugs
    and rough edges.

    gpderetta, Apr 16, 2008