Re: A thread import problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Angel, Jul 21, 2012.

  1. Dave Angel

    Dave Angel Guest

    On 07/21/2012 10:54 AM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:
    > Thanks much for this suggestion. I'm not sure I've correctly
    > understood the operation "start_new_thread(lambda: __import__(<your
    > module>), ())". By "your module" do you mean the user program which
    > imported the module that will execute start_new_thread? It hadn't
    > occurred to me to have A import B and B import A, though now that you
    > describe this (if that's indeed what you mean) it makes sense. The
    > original instance of A won't get past its initial import statement
    > because the main loop won't return to it.
    >
    > Bruce Sherwood

    Two of the things you mustn't do during an import:

    1) start or end any threads
    2) import something that's already in the chain of pending imports.
    (otherwise known as recursive imports, or import loop). And there's a
    special whammy reserved for those who import the script as though it
    were a module.

    Like any rule, there are possible exceptions. But you're much better
    off factoring your code better.

    I haven't managed to understand your software description, so i'm not
    making a specific suggestion. But I know others have pointed out that
    you should do as little as possible in top-level code of an imported
    module. Make the work happen in a function, and call that function from
    the original script, not from inside some import. An imported module's
    top-level code should do nothing more complex than initialize module
    constants.

    --

    DaveA

    Dave Angel, Jul 21, 2012