Re: A thread import problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Angel, Jul 21, 2012.

  1. Dave Angel

    Dave Angel Guest

    On 07/21/2012 04:36 PM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:
    > Thanks much for this clear statement. I hadn't managed to find any
    > documentation on this specific issue.
    >
    > Bruce Sherwood
    >
    > On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Dave Angel <> wrote:
    >> Two of the things you mustn't do during an import:
    >>
    >> 1) start or end any threads
    >> 2) import something that's already in the chain of pending imports.
    >> (otherwise known as recursive imports, or import loop). And there's a
    >> special whammy reserved for those who import the script as though it
    >> were a module.
    >>
    >> Like any rule, there are possible exceptions. But you're much better
    >> off factoring your code better.
    >>
    >> I haven't managed to understand your software description, so i'm not
    >> making a specific suggestion. But I know others have pointed out that
    >> you should do as little as possible in top-level code of an imported
    >> module. Make the work happen in a function, and call that function from
    >> the original script, not from inside some import. An imported module's
    >> top-level code should do nothing more complex than initialize module
    >> constants.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> DaveA

    (You top-posted, which makes it harder to figure out who said what.)

    For docs on the threading thing, see:

    http://docs.python.org/library/threading.html

    " ... an import should not have the side effect of spawning a new thread
    and then waiting for that thread in any way..."

    --

    DaveA
    Dave Angel, Jul 21, 2012