Re: A thread import problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by Devin Jeanpierre, Jul 23, 2012.

  1. On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Bruce Sherwood
    <> wrote:
    > (2) My hand is forced by Apple no longer supporting Carbon. Among
    > other aspects of this, Carbon can't be used with 64-bit Python, and
    > more and more Mac users of VPython want to use 64-bit Python. So there
    > has to be a version of VPython that is based on Cocoa, but Cocoa is
    > required to be the primary thread. This requirement, combined with the
    > absolute requirement that the VPython API cannot be changed, is the
    > problem I face. I have to turn the architecture inside out,
    > independent of whether the solution meets all criteria for good Python
    > programming style.

    I had exactly this problem with Tkinter on Mac. The API involved
    "synchronous" calls to update a GUI written in tkinter, which ran in
    another thread (so e.g. students could call the API from the
    interactive interpreter). This didn't work on new Mac OS X releases,
    because Tkinter had to be run in the main thread after some update --
    and also because of this deadlock issue with imports (but I didn't
    know that until later).

    I ended up solving it by running the Tkinter in the main thread of a
    different process, which could handle RPC invocations asynchronously,
    and sending remote invocations via a synchronous RPC library in the
    parent process.

    Maybe you can do something similar in your case?

    -- Devin
    Devin Jeanpierre, Jul 23, 2012