Re: A thread import problem

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dieter Maurer, Jul 23, 2012.

  1. Bruce Sherwood <> writes:
    > There's nothing wrong with the current VPython architecture, which
    > does use good style, but there are two absolute, conflicting
    > requirements that I have to meet.
    >
    > (1) The simple program API I've shown must be preserved, because there
    > exist a large number of such programs in existence, used by lots of
    > people. I can't change the API. Among other uses, every semester there
    > are about 5000 students in introductory college science courses,
    > especially physics, who do computational modeling with 3D
    > visualizations based on instructional materials that teach the
    > existing API. There is also a large number of instructors who depend
    > on existing VPython demo programs to continue working even if the
    > college upgrades Python and VPython. This isn't some little project
    > where I'm able to teach my small group of collaborators how they
    > should structure programs.

    You might keep the "programs" (one of which you have shown)
    but change the way how they are "called" (and change the internal
    working of "visual").

    In my "proposal", your "program" is not changed in any way -- but
    it is not called directly but activated ("imported") from something
    like a starting module.

    Dieter Maurer, Jul 23, 2012