Re: A Weird Appearance for a Weird Site

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Jan 21, 2011.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9E73C70DBBF5Fjavawizardaolcom@208.90.168.18>,
    Jeff <> wrote:

    > People are telling me my site is a bit amateurish - I'm not sure I get it.
    > I'll admit that it looks rather wild, but in what way does it look, well,
    > less than professional? It's www.odd50.com

    The word professional is bullshit in some ways, I have seen some
    terrible garish sites by professionals meaning they do it for a
    living and have no taste.

    * There is too much fussy distracting background. If you don't
    sigh with relief by making it a plain colour in contrat to now,
    you will not "get" these things of taste. But there is an aspect
    that you might get: you can simply accept that some other people
    find it distracting, too much fussy stuff and this affects
    usability and irritability.

    * There is too much blue and purple

    * There are too many borders

    * It is very boxy but it is not interestingly *wild* with boxes.
    To be interesting you need the boxes to somehow not just sit
    there as boxes with information in them but to somehow
    aesthetically interact, not necessarily cross, but somehow click
    together. You might "get it" more by joining art classes, going
    to galleries with knowledgeable people who are full of
    conversation.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 21, 2011

  2. dorayme

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:07:24 +1100, dorayme wrote:

    > In article <Xns9E73C70DBBF5Fjavawizardaolcom@208.90.168.18>,
    > Jeff <> wrote:
    >
    >> People are telling me my site is a bit amateurish - I'm not sure I get it.
    >> I'll admit that it looks rather wild, but in what way does it look, well,
    >> less than professional? It's www.odd50.com

    > The word professional is bullshit in some ways, I have seen some
    > terrible garish sites by professionals meaning they do it for a
    > living and have no taste.

    Ain't it the truth.
    I was somewhere out touring the countryside and was checking out the local
    pizza places on the net. I found this one, it had to be the grossest
    looking site I'd ever seen and it was done in flash no less.

    And why is it that the more "professional" the designer is, the gawdier the
    site becomes?

    richard, Jan 21, 2011