    -EdK

    Ed Keith

    Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

    Ed Keith, May 22, 2011

  2. Ed Keith wrote:
    > Have you looked at Falcon (http://www.falconpl.org/)?

    This paragraph on the first page doesn't exactly fire
    me with enthuiasm:

    > Falcon provides six integrated programming paradigms: procedural, object
    > oriented, prototype oriented, functional, tabular and message oriented. And you
    > don't have to master all of them;

    ....until you want to read someone *else's* code, that is.

    --
    Greg

    Gregory Ewing, May 23, 2011

  3. On Mon, 23 May 2011 13:11:40 +1200, Gregory Ewing wrote:

    > Ed Keith wrote:
    >> Have you looked at Falcon (http://www.falconpl.org/)?

    > This paragraph on the first page doesn't exactly fire me with enthuiasm:
    >
    >> Falcon provides six integrated programming paradigms: procedural,
    >> object oriented, prototype oriented, functional, tabular and message
    >> oriented. And you don't have to master all of them;

    > ...until you want to read someone *else's* code, that is.

    The same might be said about Python, which supports procedural, OO and
    functional styles out of the box. Prototype-oriented is so close to OO
    that you can fake it in Python:

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4629224/prototypal-programming-in-python

    I'm not sure what they mean by tabular, perhaps something like Resolver
    System's Python-in-a-spreadsheet?

    http://www.resolversystems.com/products/resolver-one/

    And presumably anyone who has played around with GUI programming in
    Python will have run into message oriented coding.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, May 23, 2011
  4. On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Steven D'Aprano
    <> wrote:
    > And presumably anyone who has played around with GUI programming in
    > Python will have run into message oriented coding.

    GUI code almost always involves a main loop somewhere that consists of:

    while not time_to_terminate:
     get_message()
     dispatch_message()

    Voila, you've just implemented message-oriented code in an imperative
    way. Doesn't make the language inherently message-oriented. If you're
    going to read someone else's code, then, you not only need to know the
    language, you need to know the environment in which it runs. I found
    that out the hard way when I tried to read some PHP code that was
    designed to run inside Joomla - it's quite quite different from
    standalone PHP.

    <tongue location="cheek">I believe assembly language offers as many
    paradigms as anything else you might want. With judicious use of
    constructs like the Intel "JMP [BP+SI]" and a nice table of jump
    targets, you could do message passing, OOP/inheritance, procedures,
    and next-programmer-brain-destruction, and hey, it's tabular
    too!</tongue>

    Chris Angelico

    Chris Angelico, May 23, 2011
  5. Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 May 2011 13:11:40 +1200, Gregory Ewing wrote:
    >
    >>...until you want to read someone *else's* code, that is.

    > The same might be said about Python, which supports procedural, OO and
    > functional styles out of the box.

    But it only uses *one* syntax and core set of concepts to
    cover all of those. Unlike, apparently, Falcon... take a
    look at this page concerning how Falcon approaches functional
    programming (but don't look for too long or your eyes may
    begin to bleed...)

    http://falconpl.org/index.ftd?page_...val Guide&wid=Survival:Functional programming

    Falcon seems to collect programming paradigms the way Perl
    collects language features, i.e. by just munging them all
    together and bending parts until they fit.

    --
    Greg

    Gregory Ewing, May 24, 2011
  6. Ed Keith

    rantingrick Guest

    On May 23, 7:04 pm, Gregory Ewing <> wrote:
    > Falcon seems to collect programming paradigms the way Perl
    > collects language features, i.e. by just munging them all
    > together and bending parts until they fit.

    Not that i am picking on anyone here...

    but...

    Why is okay to rip apart Perl with jagged metal teeth (and not that i
    am complaining mind you) however if anyone even hints about Ruby being
    somewhat ...oh let's say "asinine" or how about "redundant"... all
    the Ruby trolls crawl out the woodwork and start bashing you in the
    head with a recursive iterator? Do they not understand that Ruby is
    nothing more than Perl's "mini-me" bent on displacing the glory of
    Python with Perl style obfuscation, squiggly variable decorators, and
    redundant syntaxes so horrific that even Tim Toady would blush in
    embarrassment?

    rantingrick, May 24, 2011