Re: About GIL Questions!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Joshua Landau, Jun 20, 2013.

  1. On 20 June 2013 05:13, Thanatos xiao <> wrote:
    > Hey everyone!
    > Recently I see the python source code, but i still not understand about gil.
    > first, why single core quicker multi-core ?

    Chris Angelico touched on your other points, but not this as clearly;

    Python threads run on one thread because they have to. It is not
    because they're faster. Python theoretically would be faster if its
    threads could run multicore, but it's really hard to make that work.

    See http://pypy.org/tmdonate.html for an example of the acrobatics it
    would take to get a propper GIL-free Python.
    Joshua Landau, Jun 20, 2013