Re: About Spambots and HTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. C A Upsdell wrote:

    > "Davmagic .Com" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Do spambots generally harvest email addys from form tags with hidden
    >>fields that include required email addys?
    >>
    >>Example: Matts Form Mail requires a hidden field: <input type="hidden"
    >>name="somename" value="">
    >>
    >>Do any of you know of a better script that does not require hidden
    >>fields with email addys... Server side email key and value type
    >>set-ups...?

    > It is trivial to modify Matt's formmail.pl so that the email address(es) are
    > in the .pl file rather than in HTML files.

    well Idont program in Perl but I dont see why you cant have it submit
    the form to the server to an object/value (whatever they are in Perl) of
    "Email" and in the script itself define "Email" as ""?
    Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly , Apr 1, 2004

  2. Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "Weyoun the gowd damn Dominion Vorta who certainly didn't dance"
    <> wrote in message
    > C A Upsdell wrote:
    >
    > > "Davmagic .Com" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Do spambots generally harvest email addys from form tags with hidden
    > >>fields that include required email addys?
    > >>
    > >>Example: Matts Form Mail requires a hidden field: <input type="hidden"
    > >>name="somename" value="">
    > >>
    > >>Do any of you know of a better script that does not require hidden
    > >>fields with email addys... Server side email key and value type
    > >>set-ups...?

    > > It is trivial to modify Matt's formmail.pl so that the email address(es)

    are
    > > in the .pl file rather than in HTML files.

    > well Idont program in Perl but I dont see why you cant have it submit
    > the form to the server to an object/value (whatever they are in Perl) of
    > "Email" and in the script itself define "Email" as ""?

    That's the basic idea, except that with my solution one can put a code in
    the email field and have formmail.pl map it to one of a selection of
    destination addresses. This enables the form to be used to send the email
    to any one of a set of destinations, all without having any email addresses
    in the HTML code.

    This solution has the side-effect of making it impossible for a spammer to
    use the modified formmail.pl to relay spam.
    C A Upsdell, Apr 1, 2004