Re: "Access is denied" trying to connect to IIS7 - any ideas?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Registered User, Jun 11, 2009.

  1. On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 15:25:12 +0100, Alan Silver
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am using Windows Vista Home Premium, and have managed to negotiate the
    >fairly complex path of setting up a web site to run ASP.NET with a host
    >header. It's a lot harder than it used to be!
    >
    >Anyway, I got a site working, and tried to set up a second. Both sites
    >seem to be identical in terms of authorisation, user, etc, but one works
    >fine, and the other gives an error of...

    Go to IIS and use the context menu to stop the working site. Then use
    the browser to connect to the site that wasn't working. This may 'fix'
    the problem.

    I know that the number of concurrent connections to an IIS-based
    website is influenced by the underlying OS. IIRC the number was 10 for
    non-server versions of W2K and XP. The idea is the non-server OS's are
    not designed to serve/support high volume traffic.

    The problem may well be as simple as the pairing of IIS and Vista Home
    Premium will not support multiple websites.

    regards
    A.G.

    Registered User, Jun 11, 2009

  2. ere:
    !> I know that the number of concurrent connections to an IIS-based
    !> website is influenced by the underlying OS. IIRC the number was 10 for
    !> non-server versions of W2K and XP.

    The difference is that in W2K and XP the server would stop processing requests,
    i.e., there was a 10-connection limit hard-wired while in Vista the requests past 10
    get queued and are eventually processed.

    Here is how many concurrent requests IIS7 allows on Windows Vista SKUs:

    Windows Vista Home Premium : 3 concurrent connections
    Windows Vista Ultimate : 10 concurrent connections
    Windows Vista Professional : 10 concurrent connections

    Btw, there's a workaround which increases the number of concurrent connections to any number you want :

    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...sys-connection-limit-patch-for-event-id-4226/

    Disclaimer : I am not responsible for any damage
    your computer suffers as a result of patching tcpip.sys.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    ¿ Estas probando VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0 ?
    Regístrate (gratis) en los Foros de VS 2010 y ASP.NET 4.0, en español
    http://asp.net.do/foros/forums/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 11, 2009