RE: Access to MS SQL from Linux?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    [Joe Wong]

    > Hi,

    > Is there any Python library for accessing MS SQL server
    > from a Linux machine? Either open source or commerical one will do for me.

    (Assuming you have FreeTDS installed: http://www.freetds.org/):

    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/mssql/

    or

    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/sybase/

    will both do the trick.

    Or if you have ODBC:

    mxODBC: http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC.html

    TJG

    http://www.star.net.uk
    Tim Golden, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Tim Golden <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > [Joe Wong]
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > Is there any Python library for accessing MS SQL server
    > > from a Linux machine? Either open source or commerical one will do for me.

    I would think the ODBC driver would be the first choice. ODBC is
    Microsoft's spec, they generally support it pretty thoroughly. You
    could check out the Win32 stuff and use COM to talk to an ADO server,
    if you felt really ambitious.
    A. Lloyd Flanagan, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Tim Golden

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    A. Lloyd Flanagan <> pisze:

    >> > Is there any Python library for accessing MS SQL server
    >> > from a Linux machine? Either open source or commerical one will do for me.

    > I would think the ODBC driver would be the first choice. ODBC is
    > Microsoft's spec, they generally support it pretty thoroughly. You
    > could check out the Win32 stuff and use COM to talk to an ADO server,
    > if you felt really ambitious.

    ODBC definitely is not a Microsoft spec (it was produced in early 90's
    by SQL Access Group, now part of X/Open, see
    http://www.rdg.opengroup.org/public/news/nov95/sqlaccgp.htm). OLEDB is.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    http://jpa.berlios.de/ | http://www.zgodowie.org/