Re: Accessing "GIS (ESRI shape file)" files from Python ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Churches, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Tim Churches

    Tim Churches Guest

    Richard Shea <> wrote:

    > Hi - As usual having Python is making me consider doing things I
    > wouldn't normally !
    >
    > I've come across some files described as "GIS version (ESRI shape
    > file)" which consitute an electronic map of the Wellington, New
    > Zealand. There are six files in the package :
    >
    > suburbs.shx
    > suburbs.prj
    > suburbs.sbn
    > suburbs.sbx
    > suburbs.shp
    > suburbs.shp.xml
    > suburbs.dbf
    >
    > Can anyone tell me - is there, freely available, existing software
    > accessible from Python which would allow me to read these files ? One
    > thing I'm particularly interested to discover is if they contain
    > contour (altitude) information so ideally that's that the sort of
    > thing I would extract - but I'm just generally curious and wanting to
    > educate myself a little in this area.

    Have a look at Thuban, which should be able to display the files for you. Thuban
    is written primarily in Python. See http://thuban.intevation.org

    Tim C
    Tim Churches, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Tim Churches

    Richard Shea Guest

    Thanks to all for the pointers to Thuban and Openev I will be checking both out.

    regards

    richard shea.
    Richard Shea, Jan 14, 2004