Re: Accessing your own symbol table

Discussion in 'C++' started by Peter Shaggy Haywood, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Groovy hepcat Raoul Gough was jivin' on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:49:30
    +0100 in comp.lang.c.
    Re: Accessing your own symbol table's a cool scene! Dig it!

    > (Paul MG) writes:
    >
    >> What you *can* do is compile it with -g, and use another C program
    >> (your debugger) to look at the first program and tell you what the
    >> backtrace was. It strikes me (possibly fallaciously) that it should be
    >> possible to include this functionality into your own program (compiled
    >> with -g) to achieve my goal.

    >AFAIK, gdb is moving towards a complete separation of debugging
    >functionality and the user-interface. The debugging functionality is
    >supposed to be provided as a stand-alone library which the gdb
    >
    >Please let the group know if you get this working!

    No, don't, as it is off topic in both newsgroups to which the OP
    (and all respondants) cross posted.

    http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

    Peter Shaggy Haywood, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Peter Shaggy Haywood

    Raoul Gough Guest

    (Peter "Shaggy" Haywood) writes:

    > Groovy hepcat Raoul Gough was jivin' on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:49:30
    > +0100 in comp.lang.c.
    > Re: Accessing your own symbol table's a cool scene! Dig it!
    >
    >> (Paul MG) writes:
    >>
    >>> What you *can* do is compile it with -g, and use another C program
    >>> (your debugger) to look at the first program and tell you what the
    >>> backtrace was. It strikes me (possibly fallaciously) that it should be
    >>> possible to include this functionality into your own program (compiled
    >>> with -g) to achieve my goal.

    >>AFAIK, gdb is moving towards a complete separation of debugging
    >>functionality and the user-interface. The debugging functionality is
    >>supposed to be provided as a stand-alone library which the gdb
    >>
    >>Please let the group know if you get this working!

    > No, don't, as it is off topic in both newsgroups to which the OP
    > (and all respondants) cross posted.

    IMO, this is a _borderline_ topic, certainly not fully off-topic, as
    you seem to think. I would consider an implementation to be of low
    quality if it didn't provide some way of getting a stack dump
    (possibly via a debugger) even though the standards don't require
    this. Walking the stack from within your own code will be
    platform-specific, but some (many?) platforms have library routines to
    assist with this. In other words, it's quality of implementation
    (and/or documentation).

    --
    Raoul Gough
    "Let there be one measure for wine throughout our kingdom, and one

    Raoul Gough, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Groovy hepcat Raoul Gough was jivin' on Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:25:03
    +0100 in comp.lang.c.
    Re: Accessing your own symbol table's a cool scene! Dig it!

    > (Peter "Shaggy" Haywood) writes:
    >
    >> Groovy hepcat Raoul Gough was jivin' on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:49:30
    >> +0100 in comp.lang.c.
    >> Re: Accessing your own symbol table's a cool scene! Dig it!

    >>>AFAIK, gdb is moving towards a complete separation of debugging
    >>>functionality and the user-interface. The debugging functionality is
    >>>supposed to be provided as a stand-alone library which the gdb
    >>>
    >>>Please let the group know if you get this working!

    >> No, don't, as it is off topic in both newsgroups to which the OP
    >> (and all respondants) cross posted.

    >IMO, this is a _borderline_ topic, certainly not fully off-topic, as

    How to use gdb is completely off topic. How to use some
    implementation specific feature to perform some task is completely off
    topic. Linking non-standard libraries to provide some functionality
    not provided by the standard library is completely off topic.

    http://alphalink.com.au/~phaywood/

    Peter Shaggy Haywood, Jul 21, 2003