RE: ActivePython/IIS Request Concurrency

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robert Brewer, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. Erik Rose wrote:
    > Robert Brewer wrote:
    >
    > > Insanity is in the mind's eye of the beholder. ;) All I can

    > tell you is
    > > that I don't have that problem. But I'm not using

    > ActivePython, just
    > > IIS
    > > + pywin32. My first thought was that the "application protection"
    > > setting in IIS (process isolation, essentially) might be

    > the culprit,
    > > but I tried all three settings without any difficulties on your
    > > script. :(

    > :(? More like :-D! I'm not particularly in love with ActivePython;
    > rather, I thought it was the only solution for ASP-embedded Python.
    > Reading a little about pywin32, I see this allusion in one of its
    > source distributions' readmes (pywin32-202/com/win32com/readme.htm):
    >
    > "Python continues to work fine as an Active Scripting Engine in all
    > other applications, including Windows Scripting Host, and ASP."
    >
    > My stars! Could it be that pywin32 is sufficient to allow Python as a
    > full-fledged ASP language? Is this how you're using it, i.e. not as a
    > CGI or anything? If it works for you, I'm perfectly happy (ecstatic,
    > actually) to match my setup to yours.

    It's sufficient. :) Check out
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/082201-1.shtml for a good intro to
    using pywin32 for ASP.

    FWIW, I don't use ASP for anything more than an envelope for "real"
    Python scripts. The extent of my Python-in-ASP looks like:

    <%@Language=Python%>
    <%
    from cation.html.uiasp import UserInterfaceASP
    import mcontrol

    ui = UserInterfaceASP(mcontrol.application)
    ui.sandbox = mcontrol.arena.new_sandbox()
    ui.request(Request, Response)
    ui.sandbox.flush_all()
    %>

    All the heavy lifting is done by my "cation" web framework. You can do
    the same with almost any Python web framework, I'd bet. Such a scheme
    can keep you from tearing your hair out trying to mix Python indentation
    rules with HTML's lack of such.

    Robert Brewer
    MIS
    Amor Ministries

    Robert Brewer, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Robert Brewer

    Steve Holden Guest

    Robert Brewer wrote:

    > Erik Rose wrote:

    [...]
    >>My stars! Could it be that pywin32 is sufficient to allow Python as a
    >>full-fledged ASP language? Is this how you're using it, i.e. not as a
    >>CGI or anything? If it works for you, I'm perfectly happy (ecstatic,
    >>actually) to match my setup to yours.

    > It's sufficient. :) Check out
    > http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/082201-1.shtml for a good intro to
    > using pywin32 for ASP.
    >
    > FWIW, I don't use ASP for anything more than an envelope for "real"
    > Python scripts.

    Since ASP is a mixed-language environment I tend to call Python
    functions from VBScript to do things that would be tedious in VBScript.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    http://www.holdenweb.com