Re: ActivePython/IIS Request Concurrency

Discussion in 'Python' started by Erik Rose, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. Erik Rose

    Erik Rose Guest

    > It's sufficient. :) Check out
    > http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/082201-1.shtml for a good intro
    > to using pywin32 for ASP.

    Interestingly, that page espouses ActivePython, which I'm beginning to
    suspect is nothing more than a thin candy coating around pywin32. Do
    you know whether this is so?

    > FWIW, I don't use ASP for anything more than an envelope for "real"
    > Python scripts. [...] Such a scheme can keep you from tearing your
    > hair out trying to mix Python indentation rules with HTML's lack of
    > such.

    I hope to make it to that point eventually. Right now, I have >15K
    lines of VBScript that are going to have to interact peaceably with the
    new Python stuff. (This is why I can't even consider CGI.) I hope to do
    a bunch of inversion-of-control in Python and shove the VBScript out
    more and more into peripheral utility functions, where it can be
    translated at leisure.

    So, just to confirm, you ran a few instances of my original test
    scripts concurrently, and they completed almost simultaneously? Note
    that your machine may be faster than mine. Does the busy-wait loop take
    at least several seconds to run? If not, it would be hard to tell if
    the instances of it were running serially or not. If they are indeed
    concurrent, I'll be in touch soon to harrass you about your IIS
    settings. :-D

    Excitedly,
    Erik Rose
    Programmer/Analyst
    Pennsylvania State University
    Erik Rose, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Erik Rose wrote:
    > Interestingly, that page espouses ActivePython, which I'm beginning to
    > suspect is nothing more than a thin candy coating around pywin32. Do you
    > know whether this is so?

    No exactly, but practically speaking it may be so, for you. It's
    merely an alternative *packaging* of Python, which includes among
    other things the pywin32 package. The regular distribution does
    not include it and users must download it separately and install
    it themselves (which takes all of a couple of minutes, tops).

    So, not a wrapper/coating, but just a package that includes it.

    -Peter
    Peter L Hansen, Oct 4, 2004