Re: Ada performance (was No call for Ada )

Discussion in 'Java' started by Joona I Palaste, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. MSG <> scribbled the following
    on comp.lang.c:
    > I replaced the dead Java group with comp.lang.fortran - maybe they'll
    > clue us in on the matrix multiplication performance issues (or at
    > least keep Adaists from feeding us strange explanations).

    You couldn't be bothered to find a _live_ Java group instead, such as
    comp.lang.java.programmer? Followups set to comp.lang.ada and
    comp.lang.java.programmer.

    > To recap the discussion (or my understanding of it) :

    > 1. GNAT, an Ada compiler, is a front end to GCC and so should use the
    > same "window" (i.e. local) optimizations GCC does

    > 2. Arrays are unaliased in Ada (as I understood), much like in
    > FORTRAN, which may be beneficial in terms of performance (given that
    > the compiler takes advantage of this, and I believe, in case of GCC,
    > it does)

    > 3. Ada is compiled to native code and isn't garbage collected, which
    > puts its execution mode in the same language group with C, C++ and
    > Fortran

    > And yet, dispite all of these (especially (1)). GNAT did not fair as
    > well as GCC and G++ (I'm sure G77 would have done at least as well).

    > P.S. BTW is the code generated by IFC as fast as G77 on modern CPUs
    > (P4 and Athlon)? Is it worth bothering with IFC on benchmarks, etc.?

    "Stronger, no. More seductive, cunning, crunchier the Dark Side is."
    - Mika P. Nieminen

    Joona I Palaste, Feb 15, 2004