Re: advice on language/database choice

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 23 Jul 2003 10:10:31 -0700, (Brian Cido) wrote or
    quoted :

    >Sounds fine to me except that we just spent a lot of time and $
    >developing the C++ and access version, so I'm a bit cautious about the
    >need to move everything over to another system. While I have heard
    >many of the advantages, I am curious if there are any disadvantages or
    >limitations to using mysql and java.

    Access is a toy database. It lets end users build small databases
    without any data validation. They tend to fall apart as the
    complexity grows, the number of users increases, or the size of the
    database grows. Access is not properly designed for multiusers. There
    is no server process to co-ordinate access.

    MySQL scales much better, though it requires more skill to get
    started.

    Your current system requires a rather rare combination of skills.
    Doing it all in Java will mean pretty well any Java developer will be
    able to come in, understand it, and make modifications.

    If you plan to keep this program for many more years and extend it,
    the Java route will pay off. If not, you will be better off to just
    limp by with what you have.

    I presume your existing code is buggy and every time a programmer
    fixed one bug it created two more. Java is much better that way.
    Programs tend to be bug free because of the strong type checking and
    enforced runtime checking and the way Java prevents you from doing
    "clever" things that other programmers can't understand.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Roedy Green <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Java is much better that way. Programs tend to be bug free...

    Surely you jest, right? I didn't know this was crossposted to a comedy group.

    Tommy McDaniel

    Tommy McDaniel, Jul 24, 2003