Re: AIM client code for Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jean-Paul Calderone, Dec 16, 2008.

  1. On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:54:38 -0700, Joe Strout <> wrote:
    >I'd like to write an AIM bot in Python. I found and tried
    ><http://www.jamwt.com/Py-TOC/>, but it doesn't work for me:
    >
    >Connecting...
    >Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "aimbot-1.py", line 17, in <module>
    > bot.go()
    > File "/Users/jstrout/Documents/Python-Dev/AIMbot/toc.py", line 62, in go
    > self.process_loop()
    > File "/Users/jstrout/Documents/Python-Dev/AIMbot/toc.py", line 156, in
    >process_loop
    > event = self.recv_event()
    > File "/Users/jstrout/Documents/Python-Dev/AIMbot/toc.py", line 230, in
    >recv_event
    > dtemp = self._socket.recv(buflen - len(data))
    >socket.error: (54, 'Connection reset by peer')
    >

    >I wrote to the author a week ago, but never got a reply. It could be as
    >simple as changing the server addresses in toc.py, currently:
    >
    >TOC_SERV_AUTH = ("login.oscar.aol.com", 29999 )
    >TOC_SERV = ( "toc.oscar.aol.com", 9898 )
    >
    >...but I don't understand AIM well enough to know the correct values (and
    >was rather hoping that I wouldn't have to).
    >
    >Does anyone know how to get Py-TOC to work, or have another Python TOC
    >implementation to suggest?

    You need an OSCAR-based AIM library. AOL discontinued TOC support several
    years ago. No TOC-based client can work on the AIM network.

    Twisted includes a (somewhat crufty) OSCAR implementation. There are
    probably also other Python OSCAR implementations.

    Jean-Paul
    Jean-Paul Calderone, Dec 16, 2008