Re: Algorithm to solve equation for variable

Discussion in 'Java' started by David Zimmerman, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Dan wrote:
    > I am looking for an algorithm to solve an equation for any particular
    > variable. For example, if I have the equation y = w * h + l (actually
    > I have y = w h * l + because I'm using postfix notation), I need an
    > algorithm that can solve the equation for any of w, h, l.
    >
    > I only support the four basic operators in my equations ( + - * / )
    > and do not support functions. The way I store the equation is in a
    > container; each item in the container is either a variable name or an
    > Integer representing the operation, where + is 2, - is 3, * is 4 and /
    > is 5.

    If you have this equation
    0 = x*x*x*x*x + b*x*x*x*x + c*x*x*x + d*x*x + e*x + f
    and are asked to solve for x, there is no analytic solution. Equations
    of order 5 or higher have no general solution. I believe that what your
    asking to do is *very* difficult in general. Mathematica is big,
    expensive piece of software that does some of this (and a lot of other
    things).

    David Zimmerman, Jun 27, 2003