Re: An application error occurred on the server.

Rick Strahl [MVP]

Cezar,

This is the default behavior so you need to figure out how to capture thte
error info to get the standard error information that will tell you more. As
per that message the easiest way for first time debugging is to simply
change web.config and set the Customerrors tag to off so you can see the
error. Get thngs going then change it back.

Ultimately though you'll want to trap errors display a cleaner error message
and log the error information.

+++ Rick ---

--

Rick Strahl
West Wind Technologies

Cezar said:
Hi,

I try to deploy an application on a IIS5 web server. I just installed the
..Net framework as it wasn't there before.
I try to display a simple aspx page with just one label. The error I get is:
-------
Server Error in '/WebApp1' Application.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

Runtime Error
custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.
Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a
"web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current

Guest

Thank you for the reply

The problem is that I'm changing the web.config file, I restart IIS but nothing changes. I even removed the web.config file completely.

Cezar

Joined
May 12, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
server error

I am getting the same server error. I am tending to rule out visual studio 8 or anything to do with my files or how I originate them because I tried originating my html default file using word pad and I get the same error. I am down to thinking that it is my version of the IIS server. I installed server 2003 from a MSDN cd that I made from an iso file I downloaded from a Microsoft student site. I wonder if all of you who are experiencing that error have a similar version of the server that runs IIS. Any student version or version who's license disallows business use of the IIS server, I think could be the problem. Can someone respond to the contrary? or has a similar version? Another factor is that I have my domains parked and Godaddy it forwarding them to my server, so, I dont know if my server is redirecting the url to the proper folder or to the default website in my wwwroot folder.

Last edited: