RE: <> and !=

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Peters, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Tim Peters

    Tim Peters Guest

    [hokiegal99, on <> vs !=]
    > What's the reason for having two symbols mean the same thing?

    Hysterical raisins. Python originally used only "<>". C programmers whined
    about that, so Python added "!=" too. But Python code already used "<>", so
    it was too late to get rid of that one. "<>" was deprecated instead.
    That's a computer science term usually meaning it's like a mentally
    disturbed uncle: we won't kill it, but we won't talk about it either
    <wink>. The good news is that Guido has become more hardened to whining
    over the centures since then.

    Tim Peters, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Tim Peters

    hokiegal99 Guest

    Tim Peters wrote:
    > "<>" was deprecated instead.
    > That's a computer science term usually meaning it's like a mentally
    > disturbed uncle: we won't kill it, but we won't talk about it either
    > <wink>.

    That's very good... very good indeed. I know exactly what you mean. I'll
    have to use your explanation to explain 'deprecated' to my users!

    Thank you.

    hokiegal99, Jul 16, 2003