Re: ANN: ActivePython 2.3.2 & ActivePython 2.2.3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Thomas Heller, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. "Mark Hammond" <> writes:

    > FYI, my short-ish term plans with win32all are to:
    > * Enhance Thomas's distutils build script, and make that the "official" way
    > to build and install sources (that holds the best hope for managing multiple
    > Python versions at once from one source tree)

    Yes, it's much easier to enter 'python setup.py build' for each Python
    version you need than to fire up MSDev, set the paths, build, and so on.

    > * Drop all registry stuff, using a few .pth files

    One .pth file is probably enough.

    > * Re-do the setup script using inno.

    Just curious: are you missing something in bdist_wininst (except for the
    ability to install system files)?

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Thomas Heller wrote:
    >> * Drop all registry stuff, using a few .pth files

    > One .pth file is probably enough.

    Sure, because one .pth file can list as many directories as you
    want (one per line) -- just spelling this out for readers who
    may not be entirely familiar with .pth files.

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Alex Martelli <> writes:

    > Thomas Heller wrote:
    >>> * Drop all registry stuff, using a few .pth files

    >> One .pth file is probably enough.

    > Sure, because one .pth file can list as many directories as you
    > want (one per line) -- just spelling this out for readers who
    > may not be entirely familiar with .pth files.

    Yes. Given the recent questions here on this list about how to set
    PYTHONPATH (which I never bothered to answer) for me the .pth files are
    an attractive alternative to env vars.

    For win32all, however, the question is: why not switch to a standard
    directory structure? For example, install win32api.pyd in
    Lib/site-packages instead of a win32 subdirectory.

    The more radical approach of converting it into packages is probably too
    painful for existing code...

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Nov 4, 2003