Re: ANN: eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime 1.0.0

Discussion in 'Python' started by Simon Cropper, Jul 3, 2012.

  1. On 02/07/12 23:52, eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
    > ANNOUNCING
    >
    > eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime
    >
    > Version 1.0.0
    >

    > An easy-to-use single file relocatable Python run-time -
    > available for Windows, Mac OS X and Unix platforms
    >

    > This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
    > http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-PyRun-1.0.0.html

    > INTRODUCTION
    >
    > Our new eGenix PyRun combines a Python interpreter with an almost
    > complete Python standard library into a single easy-to-use
    > executable, that does not require a system wide installation and
    > is fully relocatable.
    >
    > eGenix PyRun's executable only needs 12MB, but still supports
    > most Python application and scripts - and it can be further
    > compressed to 3-4MB using gzexe or upx.
    >
    > Compared to a regular Python installation of typically 100MB on
    > disk, this makes eGenix PyRun ideal for applications and scripts
    > that need to be distributed to many target machines, client
    > installations or customers.
    >
    > It makes "installing" Python on a Unix based system as simple as
    > copying a single file.
    >
    > http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

    > NEWS
    >
    > This is the first public release of eGenix PyRun. We have been
    > using the product internally in our mxODBC Connect Server since
    > 2008 with great success and have now extracted it into a
    > stand-alone open-source product.
    >
    > We provide both the source archive to build your own eGenix
    > PyRun, as well as provide pre-compiled binaries for Linux,
    > FreeBSD and Mac OS X, for the resp. 32- and 64-bit platforms.
    >
    > Presentation at EuroPython 2012
    > -------------------------------
    >
    > Marc-André, CEO of eGenix, will be giving a presentation about
    > eGenix PyRun at EuroPython 2012 in Florence, Italy on Wednesday,
    > July 4th in the Room Tagliatelle.
    >
    > He will also be available during the conference to answer
    > questions.

    > DOWNLOADS
    >
    > The download archives and instructions for installing the product
    > can be found at:
    >
    > http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

    > SUPPORT
    >
    > Commercial support for these packages is available from eGenix.com.
    > Please see
    >
    > http://www.egenix.com/services/support/
    >
    > for details about our support offerings.

    > MORE INFORMATION
    >
    > For more information about eGenix PyRun, licensing and download
    > instructions, please visit our web-site or write to
    > .
    >
    > Enjoy,

    Hello,

    Are you able to indicate what size the installation would be WITH ALL
    the mentioned dependencies on various typical systems (MS Windows 32/64,
    Ubuntu, etc)?

    Saying something is only 12-13 MB in size is one thing but noting that
    you need 283MB+* of other packages means that in order to get this
    package to work on another machine you would need to install more than a
    12-13MB executable, particularly on a Windows machine.

    OpenSSL on Windows 20MB -- http://slproweb.com/products

    zlib binary on Windows 0.012MB-- /Win32OpenSSL.html --
    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/zlib.htm

    SQLite binary for Windows 262.59 MB -- http://www.sqlite.org/download.html/

    BZip tarball 0.75 MB -- http://www.bzip.org/downloads.html

    Also, do you have a page that indicates what standard libraries have
    been included? How can someone tell whether they would need to
    distribute or include any additional modules to get a script to work?

    --
    Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides
    Introduction http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
    GIS Packages http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/gis
    bash / Python http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/scripting
    Simon Cropper, Jul 3, 2012