Re: ANN: PollyReports 1.5 -- Band-oriented PDF Report Generator

Discussion in 'Python' started by Simon Cropper, Jul 12, 2012.

  1. On 12/07/12 00:06, Chris Gonnerman wrote:
    > I've held off announcing this until I was sure it was really stable;
    > it's been 19 days since I made the last change to it, so here goes.
    > PollyReports is my Python module for report generation. It is designed
    > to be, quite literally, the "simplest thing that can possibly work" in
    > the field of PDF generation from a database record set. There is a
    > somewhat vague resemblance to GeraldoReports; I had problems with
    > Geraldo's pagination which led me to develop PollyReports in a brief
    > flurry of intense activity.
    >
    > It's on PyPI: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PollyReports
    > and on Github: https://github.com/Solomoriah/PollyReports
    > and I have a blog where I talk about it (like anyone cares):
    > http://opensource.gonnerman.org/?cat=4

    "I've noticed that acceptance of a new software module or package for
    developers in the Open Source/Free Software world is greatly affected by
    the availability of a good tutorial. I mean, it seems obvious, doesn't
    it? But I've also noticed that the original author of a project rarely
    writes a good tutorial."
    http://packages.python.org/PollyReports/tutorial.html

    Well I thought it was a good tutorial. It certainly empowers me with
    enough confidence to give it a try.

    That said... with more than a passing interest in software and content
    licensing I looked at how the work was licensed. A none-standard license
    like this makes most people stop and think "will this be a problem if I
    use this in my work?" How compatible is your license with the main
    software licenses currently available?

    --
    Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides
    Introduction http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
    GIS Packages http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/gis
    bash / Python http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/scripting
    Simon Cropper, Jul 12, 2012