RE: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in ahacker friendly way.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Prasad, Ramit, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. > >> I would suggest you change the theme -- using Firefox 3.6 the page is

    > >> very difficult to read.

    > > Thanks for the report. Do you mind if I ask why you are using such an
    > > old version?
    > > (It looks fine with Firefox 14.0.1)

    > That version works for me -- I don't like upgrading to a new version of
    > bugs if I don't have to. ;)

    Why do you prefer to keep your old security holes?

    Ramit

    This email is confidentialand subject to important disclaimers and
    Prasad, Ramit, Jul 30, 2012

  2. Re: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library to generate music in ahackerfriendly way.

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:32:47 +0000, Prasad, Ramit wrote:

    >> > Thanks for the report. Do you mind if I ask why you are using such an
    >> > old version?
    >> > (It looks fine with Firefox 14.0.1)

    Firefox 3.6 is not "such an old version". It is the currently supported
    version in RHEL and Centos, and under the rebranded name Iceweasel,
    Debian Squeeze.

    >> That version works for me -- I don't like upgrading to a new version of
    >> bugs if I don't have to. ;)

    > Why do you prefer to keep your old security holes?

    I don't. But in my experience, the risk of security breaches is *much*
    less than the chance that the new version will break functionality,
    introduce bugs, have a worse user interface, and generally be a step
    backwards rather than forward.

    Security fixes are orthogonal to new features and UI changes. Any
    software which forces you to take unwanted new features and accept UI
    degradation in order to get security fixes is doing the wrong thing, and
    almost certainly adding new security holes as fast as they remove them.

    When it comes to browsers, I would rather rely on dedicated security
    features like NoScript that has a stable UI and continual functional
    improvements, than to get on the Firefox upgrade treadmill. When I
    upgrade my OS, I'll get a new major release of Firefox. With luck, all
    the kinks will be ironed out by then. Until then, Firefox 3.6 is stable
    and works.

    Besides, it is amazing what a better browsing experience you get by
    disabling 99% of all Flash and 95% of all Javascript.

    Python is one of the few cases where I can implicitly trust that each
    upgrade is an actual *upgrade*, not a downgrade with a higher version
    number like KDE 3 -> KDE 4, or a sidegrade, like Firefox.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Jul 31, 2012

  3. Prasad, Ramit

    Andrew Berg Guest

    Firefox 3.6 [OT] (was: Re: [ANN] pyknon: Simple Python library togenerate music in a hacker friendly way.)

    On 7/30/2012 9:25 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > I don't. But in my experience, the risk of security breaches is *much*
    > less than the chance that the new version will break functionality,
    > introduce bugs, have a worse user interface, and generally be a step
    > backwards rather than forward.

    4.0 sucked. It had a radically new UI and it broke heaps of add-ons and
    it leaked memory. 5.0 was slightly better, but still sucked because it
    still leaked memory. 6.0 didn't suck so much because the memory leaks
    were taken care of, and by this point there were extensions to deal with
    certain issues (like not having a place for status bar icons). By 7.0,
    there weren't really any more problems. By no means was the process
    painless, but I've found the new UI to be a bit better than the old one
    (at this point - not when 4.0 came out) now that the dust has settled.
    --
    CPython 3.3.0b1 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17803
    Andrew Berg, Jul 31, 2012