Re: ANN: Snakelets 1.1 (simple-to-use web app server with dynamicpages)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Karl Scalet, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Karl Scalet

    Karl Scalet Guest

    Irmen de Jong schrieb:
    > I'm happy to say that Snakelets 1.1 is now available.
    >
    > Snakelets is a simple Python web application server, ...

    Hi Irmen,

    is there any support for cgi built into?

    Karl
    Karl Scalet, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Karl Scalet wrote:
    > the reason why I asked for CGI was that I potentially
    > will hold a course about python/webprogramming (very
    > newbie level) and was thinking about an easy way to set
    > up an environment of such.

    Well, setting up Snakelets is as simple as untarring the tarball
    and starting serv.py. Presto, a running web server with
    several demo applications ready to go.
    Adding your own app is as simple as creating a directory
    and stuffing some .html files (or .y files) into it.

    But it depends on what you want to *achieve* with the web
    app in your course. If it is a few simple pages, CGI is
    good enough. But if you want to do stuff with sessions,
    or more complex pages or page interactions, IMHO CGI
    is quickly becoming too cumbersome.

    > Previously I was thinking
    > about twisted, but did not yet investigate about the
    > CGI capabilities there. Why CGI at all: Simple because
    > if I introduce some simple web-applications in the course
    > the attendees could take them and most easily transport
    > them to a common web-hoster. I know about CGIHTTPServer
    > and might end up with it.

    FWIW, it is trivial to create a Ypage in Snakelets or
    a true Snakelet that 'calls' your designated "cgi" script
    with the current request environment. But one thing is
    certain: the web app you're creating won't easily be
    transported to a common web-hoster, while plain old
    CGI scripts would. It seems that going with CGIHTTPServer
    (or even a pre-configured apache server that can run
    your python cgi scripts) is your best option.

    --Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Karl Scalet wrote:

    > very easy and nice, indeed.
    > BTW after a change of the port-number and a restart,
    > the server crashed:
    > snakeserver/server.py line 511:
    > the clearPageCache argument is missing

    :-( A small bug indeed. Will fix this ASAP :)
    you can easily fix this yourself in the meantime
    by adding the missing argument to the call to
    createHTTPD().

    > I will play around with Snakelets even more. As far as
    > I can see now, it's pretty right for educational
    > purposes (at the least).

    My purpose was twofold:
    - understand better how to write dynamic web applications
    - understand the inner workings of a web application server.

    Your course, is it about both? Or only the first?

    > Do you intend to bring Snakelets up to a production level?

    No, I don't.
    But if somebody else wants to do that, be my guest :)

    > Which one of the current products (Webware?) do you
    > think is closest to yours?

    I think Webware, because it also has the concept of
    'servlets' and 'python server pages'.
    Actually, I "borrowed" a few ideas from Webware
    for my Ypages :)

    --Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Aug 5, 2003
  4. Karl Scalet

    Karl Scalet Guest

    Irmen de Jong schrieb:
    > Karl Scalet wrote:
    >
    > you can easily fix this yourself in the meantime
    > by adding the missing argument to the call to
    > createHTTPD().

    yes, easy enough :)

    > My purpose was twofold:
    > - understand better how to write dynamic web applications
    > - understand the inner workings of a web application server.
    >
    > Your course, is it about both? Or only the first?

    If ever, very likely just option 1.

    >> Do you intend to bring Snakelets up to a production level?

    > No, I don't.
    > But if somebody else wants to do that, be my guest :)
    >
    >> Which one of the current products (Webware?) do you
    >> think is closest to yours?

    > I think Webware, because it also has the concept of
    > 'servlets' and 'python server pages'.

    That was my guess.

    Karl
    Karl Scalet, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Karl Scalet

    John J. Lee Guest

    Re: ANN: Snakelets 1.1 (simple-to-use web app server with dynamic pages)

    Karl Scalet <> writes:
    [...]
    > the reason why I asked for CGI was that I potentially
    > will hold a course about python/webprogramming (very

    [...]
    > CGI capabilities there. Why CGI at all: Simple because
    > if I introduce some simple web-applications in the course
    > the attendees could take them and most easily transport
    > them to a common web-hoster. I know about CGIHTTPServer

    [...]

    Albatross might be worth a look too (also simple, pure-Python hence
    easy install, small step up from plain CGI).

    John
    John J. Lee, Aug 5, 2003
  6. Karl Scalet

    Karl Scalet Guest

    John J. Lee schrieb:
    > Karl Scalet <> writes:
    > [...]
    >
    >>the reason why I asked for CGI was that I potentially
    >>will hold a course about python/webprogramming (very

    > [...]
    >
    >>CGI capabilities there. Why CGI at all: Simple because
    >>if I introduce some simple web-applications in the course
    >>the attendees could take them and most easily transport
    >>them to a common web-hoster. I know about CGIHTTPServer

    > [...]
    >
    > Albatross might be worth a look too (also simple, pure-Python hence
    > easy install, small step up from plain CGI).

    I will have a look at this animal, thank you for the info.

    Karl
    Karl Scalet, Aug 5, 2003