    From: "Bob Gailer" <>
    To: <>; <>
    Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 1:59 PM
    Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Rekall V2.0.2

    > At 11:01 PM 8/9/2003 +0100, wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >I would like to take this opportunity to announce the release of Rekall

    for
    > >Windows and Linux.
    > >Rekall is an attempt to produce an application to rival Microsoft Access,
    > >without the huge price tag. With Rekall you can produce full blown
    > >applications. Rekall's programmability and power comes through the use of
    > >Python. There is also a Run Time version of Rekall which allows you ship
    > >your Rekall application to your customers. Rekall includes a syntax
    > >highlighting editor and a debugger. You can import and export data and

    table
    > >structures to and from all the databases supported by Rekall. Included in
    > >the standard package are drivers for MySQL, xBase and PostreSQL. You can

    get
    > >drivers for DB2, ODBC and Oracles separately from us at a fraction of the
    > >cost of buying from the big vendors.
    > >Why not take a Rekall Demo out for a test drive. Our demos are fully
    > >functional with a 60 minute time limitation (the Windows demo has a 15

    day
    > >time limit), but they will run again. You can find the demos on either of
    > >two web sites, http://www.rygannon.com

    > I just spent more than a reasonable amount of time staring at this page. I
    > can't make sense of it! I don't see any helpful information that would
    > entice me to get the product, and no links for demos.
    >
    > >and http://www.totalrekall.co.uk

    > This page makes a lot more sense. I suggest dropping the first link or
    > improving the page.

    I have made a lot of changes many of them as a direct result to everybodies
    suggests. I hope that I have got it right this time
    BTW I have add a lot of screen shots to the Contents->About Rekall->Screen
    Shots page

    > Bob Gailer
    >
    > 303 442 2625

    Regards
    John

    Guest, Aug 10, 2003

  2. wrote:

    > I have made a lot of changes many of them as a direct result to everybodies
    > suggests. I hope that I have got it right this time
    > BTW I have add a lot of screen shots to the Contents->About Rekall->Screen
    > Shots page

    This is still so silly.

    On your page instead of directly linking to the screenshots you are
    (just as abouve) listing the steps one needs to take to get there.

    The whole site makes no sense. If you have a product to sell you must
    allow people to understand everything right away. I would get rid of
    this whole you must register first nonsense.

    cheers,

    Istvan.
    Istvan Albert, Aug 11, 2003

    Benoit Caron Guest

    Istvan Albert wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have made a lot of changes many of them as a direct result to
    >> everybodies
    >> suggests. I hope that I have got it right this time
    >> BTW I have add a lot of screen shots to the Contents->About
    >> Rekall->Screen
    >> Shots page

    > This is still so silly.
    >
    > On your page instead of directly linking to the screenshots you are
    > (just as abouve) listing the steps one needs to take to get there.
    >
    > The whole site makes no sense. If you have a product to sell you must
    > allow people to understand everything right away. I would get rid of
    > this whole you must register first nonsense.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Istvan.

    I suppose from the reaction to the quirks of the website that this kind
    of application would fill a need. Am I wrong?

    I myself had begun to play a bit (with only my pen, for the moment) with
    the idea of building this kind of application. The way I see the thing,
    it would be built that way :

    - Written in python : I want to (finally) learn it well, and I feel that
    the langage would do a better job than, say, Perl, for a thing looking
    like Access.
    - wxPython as the toolkit : it is more "usable" freely on windows due to
    the licensing/etc. on windows
    - Use an embedded database : if we want to "attack" Access, we must be
    "standalone" and must not need a "real,big" database installation. I
    thought about sqlite, but I did'nt dig enough on this to decide yet.
    Anyway, the point would be to make it possible to "switch" the model
    from a database system to an another. This way, the thing could be used
    as a "prototyping" solution. But I digress
    - Make it possible to build form easily. I thought about wrapping up
    wxGlade, for it feel for me as clear and easy to use, and the code
    looked clean at first sight.
    - Make it possible to use these forms as independant application, or
    export it :
    - Make it possible to "export" as a "website" : either by doing a
    report-like query, or by "translating" the built form to HTML. This
    would mean a way to use the core of the engine as a CGI wrapper, and to
    transform the XML format of the wxGlade form to an XHTML format, via
    XSLT probably.
    - Make it OpenSource. I looked at rekall and it look not that bad, but I
    hardly see how this can take away "mindshare" from Access.
    - Make it simple. I also looked at the well-hidden database features of
    OpenOffice.org, and it was just to confusing... and I just can't imagine
    a poor simple guy like myself diving in OOo source code... :eek:\

    The goal being to build an application that make somebody able to build
    a small database-using application with no fuss, with the option of
    building "semi-automatically" a web interface to it's database.

    So, anybody think this would have users?

    PS : excuse my faulty english, it is obviously not my prime langage.
    Benoit Caron, Aug 12, 2003

    Max M Guest

    Benoit Caron wrote:

    > The goal being to build an application that make somebody able to build
    > a small database-using application with no fuss, with the option of
    > building "semi-automatically" a web interface to it's database.
    >
    > So, anybody think this would have users?

    Yes. But wouldn't it be smarter to just make an access-like graphical
    interface to the multiple databases that Python supports?

    Like when Access is used to connect to other databases through ado/odbc?

    regards Max M
    Max M, Aug 12, 2003