Re: Any algorithm to preserve whitespaces?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Santosh Kumar, Jan 24, 2013.

  1. On 1/24/13, Peter Otten <> wrote:
    > Santosh Kumar wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, Peter got it right.
    >>
    >> Now, how can I replace:
    >>
    >> script, givenfile = argv
    >>
    >> with something better that takes argv[1] as input file as well as
    >> reads input from stdin.
    >>
    >> By input from stdin, I mean that currently when I do `cat foo.txt |
    >> capitalizr` it throws a ValueError error:
    >>
    >> Traceback (most recent call last):
    >> File "/home/santosh/bin/capitalizr", line 16, in <module>
    >> script, givenfile = argv
    >> ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack
    >>
    >> I want both input methods.

    > You can use argparse and its FileType:
    >
    > import argparse
    > import sys
    >
    > parser = argparse.ArgumentParser()
    > parser.add_argument("infile", type=argparse.FileType("r"), nargs="?",
    > default=sys.stdin)
    > args = parser.parse_args()
    >
    > for line in args.infile:
    > print line.strip().title() # replace with your code

    This works file when I do `script.py inputfile.txt`; capitalizes as
    expected. But it work unexpected if I do `cat inputfile.txt |
    script.py`; leaves the first word of each line and then capitalizes
    remaining.
    Santosh Kumar, Jan 24, 2013