Re: Any HTML Guru's available to look at this code?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by BAF, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. BAF

    BAF Guest

    If anyone can help, my correct address is

    BAF, Jan 8, 2005

  2. BAF

    mbstevens Guest

    BAF wrote:

    > If anyone can help, my correct address is
    >

    > "BAF" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Problem:
    >>
    >> Main site index file (a weblog) is a table layout with just two columns.
    >> Left (grey) column, and main blog blog (white) right column.
    >>
    >> Essentially the same index code is used on the same site for a separate
    >> photoblog.
    >>
    >> The alignment between the two cells of the main table aren't the same
    >> between the two pages. In the main site index page, the margins of the
    >> blog content in the white side of the table don't come close to the split
    >> between the two table cells. This is best seen in the alignment
    >> differences between the yellow-background date lines.
    >>
    >> KEEP IN MIND: The background graphic creates the false-colored table
    >> cells grey/white...so pay no attention to that for actual HTML
    >> measurements.
    >>
    >> ACK! I've just spent about 3 hours looking this over again and
    >> again...no
    >> avail. I'm guessing I'm overlooking something really stupid...can anyone
    >> help?
    >>
    >> Main site: http://www.blueroomlounge.com/index.php (note the blog margin
    >> nowhere near the actual split)
    >> Photoblog: http://www.blueroomlounge.com/index.html (lines up nicely;
    >> date bar and <hr> line are evenly split and line up well to the cell
    >> borders)

    When I try to access index.html I keep getting redirected into index.php, so
    I naturally can't see any difference.

    In general, what *you're* seeing *might* be related to the following kinds
    of markup from your site:
    and
    These markup snippets from your page use old style width, align,
    cellpadding, and cellspacing.
    I suggest you get *all* display markup into CSS.
    Get rid of the fixed width on the right cell so the window can flow -- just
    don't set that width.

    I really don't object to a simple table like this with just two cells, but a
    better solution would be to adapt the 2 column template from
    http://www.realworldstyle.com
    ....or a similar template. I realize your blog software may be writing a lot
    of your pages, so this may not be possible, but do it if you can.
    --
    mbstevens http://www.mbstevens.com

    mbstevens, Jan 8, 2005