Re: Anyone found a good web authoring or newsletter package for executive use?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jim Kelly, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Jim Kelly

    Jim Kelly Guest

    It is difficult to know how to respond politely . . but let me say many
    of the good folks in mind have no reason to pay anyone to create these
    websites . . . in fact we in the community will be the benefactors as
    they will record their valuable knowledge in the form that we accept . .
    a website. It doesn't have to be a bells and whistles persuasive site
    like frogleg from nowhere possibly makes. Just a clean, mean, orderly
    site that is easy to create in a way that is a delight to the reader by
    it's content, and thoughtful layout, not in it's flashiness.

    Jim Kelly

    "Frogleg" <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:05:05 +1000, "Jim Kelly"
    | <kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com> wrote:
    |

    | >"Whitecrest" <> wrote
    |
    | >| kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com says...
    | >|

    Jim Kelly, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Jim Kelly wrote:
    [please don't top post]
    > "Frogleg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:05:05 +1000, "Jim Kelly"
    >> <kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com> wrote:
    >>> "Whitecrest" <> wrote

    >>> Mostly because they really want to do it all themselves . . . the
    >>> driving force is a frustration that for years they have been able to
    >>> communicate effectively by letter, fax even email. Now they want to
    >>> step into creating web pages and do not expect to need to become a
    >>> programmer. And are (often) happy to pay for a product that has been
    >>> built with them in mind!

    >> Let me get this right. You're asking a bunch of people who work very
    >> hard to produce and improve web sites, many for money, to suggest a
    >> software package (other than FrontPage) that'll let others too busy
    >> to learn anything about HTML bring their dreams to reality with no
    >> bother at all? Then what are the rest of us doing here? Hey -- I
    >> want to cook like Julia Child. Is there an appliance I can buy so I
    >> don't have to learn to chop, simmer and stir? I have some *great*
    >> ideas for dinner next Saturday.
    >>
    >> Ahem. Sorry. Lead 'em to FrontPage, or tell 'em to trade money for
    >> time and hire someone to do the actual work.

    > It is difficult to know how to respond politely . . but let me say
    > many of the good folks in mind have no reason to pay anyone to create
    > these websites . . . in fact we in the community will be the
    > benefactors as they will record their valuable knowledge in the form
    > that we accept . . a website. It doesn't have to be a bells and
    > whistles persuasive site like frogleg from nowhere possibly makes.
    > Just a clean, mean, orderly site that is easy to create in a way that
    > is a delight to the reader by it's content, and thoughtful layout,
    > not in it's flashiness.

    seems to me you could usefully apply your research skills using the phrase
    "content management system". There are many available at many price points
    (starting at free) with varying degrees of sophistication - if that's the
    right word.

    in any event, good luck
    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Jim Kelly

    Frogleg Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:37:36 +1000, "Jim Kelly"
    <kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com> wrote:
    >"Frogleg" <> .

    >| Let me get this right. You're asking a bunch of people who work very
    >| hard to produce and improve web sites, many for money, to suggest a
    >| software package (other than FrontPage) that'll let others too busy to
    >| learn anything about HTML bring their dreams to reality with no bother
    >| at all? Then what are the rest of us doing here?
    >|
    >| Ahem. Sorry. Lead 'em to FrontPage, or tell 'em to trade money for
    >| time and hire someone to do the actual work.

    >It is difficult to know how to respond politely . . but let me say many
    >of the good folks in mind have no reason to pay anyone to create these
    >websites . . . in fact we in the community will be the benefactors as
    >they will record their valuable knowledge in the form that we accept . .
    >a website. It doesn't have to be a bells and whistles persuasive site
    >like frogleg from nowhere possibly makes. Just a clean, mean, orderly
    >site that is easy to create in a way that is a delight to the reader by
    >it's content, and thoughtful layout, not in it's flashiness.

    My websites are *far* from "bells and whistles" persuasion machines. I
    *have* been working for some time to make them, if not a "delight," at
    least clear, easily navigable, thoughtully designed, and viewable with
    different sorts of equipment and software. Which is why I'm here. If
    there were a software package that would instantly translate all our
    good ideas into the sort of end-product you seem to require, there
    wouldn't be much point in this newsgroup.

    The drawbacks of WYSIWYG web design software and Front Page's output
    when the "designer" has no clue what's going on have been pointed out
    ad infinitum here. There are sites produced with these prooducts that
    are quite adequate in many ways. Grab a template, fill in the blanks,
    insert your photos, and publish.

    Why your particular circle of "good folk" has requirements beyond what
    Front Page (or Word or other common tools) can provide, and yet not
    enough time, interest, or money to invest, except in a software
    package, is a puzzle. In fact, you mentioned they'd like to start with
    a My Dog Spot personal site (many ISPs offer free online tools for
    publishing personal web pages, as well as host space) and "build thier
    skill." So they *are* willing to learn -- just not learn anything
    complicated or difficult.

    I realize I'm really nit-picking, but your query more or less
    translates, IMHO, into "how can my friends and I produce high quality
    web sites (I'll leave the question of HTML e-mailed newsletters out of
    this) with none of the effort you idiots seem to be so working on so
    hard?"

    Frogleg, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Jim Kelly

    Jim Kelly Guest

    "Frogleg" <> wrote in message
    | On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:37:36 +1000, "Jim Kelly"
    | <kellwood@compuREMOVE_TO_EMAIL_MEserve.com> wrote:
    | >"Frogleg" <> .
    |

    | I realize I'm really nit-picking, but your query more or less
    | translates, IMHO, into "how can my friends and I produce high quality
    | web sites (I'll leave the question of HTML e-mailed newsletters out of
    | this) with none of the effort you idiots seem to be so working on so
    | hard?"

    Have you heard how the Swiss lost their undisputed prominence in the
    watch making world last century when one of *their* brethren invented
    the electronic digital watch. He apparently exhibited it at an
    exhibition in Switzerland and was laughed out of town because his design
    had no need for the dozens of jewels, cogs, and other delicate parts
    that the craftsmen had developed skills in for centuries. A Japanese
    visitor saw the product/opportunity and 'ran' with it and the Swiss
    industry was wrecked virtually overnight! Only recently have they got
    back with the Swatch (digital) approach.

    Another example: how many skills do we no longer need now that Google
    provides such an effective Internet/newsgroup search facility???

    Disseminating information in a clear concise effective manner should not
    require elaborate computing skills. A product will fill the need. I am
    just trying to be sure I do not miss finding and working with it.

    Take heart, we will be ok as long as we embrace change, and don't be
    caught doing things 'the hard way'.

    Thanks for your reflections . . I can appreciate your point of view.

    Jim Kelly.

    Jim Kelly, Jun 23, 2003
  5. Jim Kelly

    Jim Kelly Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    | Jim Kelly wrote:

    | seems to me you could usefully apply your research skills using the
    phrase
    | "content management system". There are many available at many price
    points
    | (starting at free) with varying degrees of sophistication - if that's
    the
    | right word.
    |
    | in any event, good luck
    | --
    | William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

    Good idea.
    Had a quick look via Google, and this heading seems to address huge
    organisations. Am I missing something/product/newsgroup?

    Thanks William,

    Kind regards,
    Jim Kelly.

    Jim Kelly, Jun 23, 2003