Re: anything new on the ternary operator?

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Hunter, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. John Hunter

    John Hunter Guest

    Tim> There were many creative interpretations of the vote counts,
    Tim> but none of them showed the consensus Guido said at the start
    Tim> would be needed for adoption.

    Perhaps there is a lesson for the next time a vote count comes around.
    Although there wasn't a consensus on the syntactical form of a ternary
    operator, there may be a consensus for the existence of one. This
    suggests a runoff step is needed

    Vote 1

    0) choice 0
    1) choice 1
    N-1) choice N-1
    N) No ternary operator

    Vote 2 if sum(votes[:N])>votes[-1]

    0) winner of vote 1
    1) No ternary operator

    I suspect many of not most of those who voted for some syntax of
    ternary operator would prefer the first choice of the vote rather than
    no choice, even if their pet candidate didn't win. Perhaps the python
    community couldn't stand being dragged through a 2-tiered voting
    procedure, but it looks like a fairer test.

    John Hunter
    John Hunter, Jul 7, 2003

  2. In article <>, John Hunter wrote:

    > Tim> There were many creative interpretations of the vote counts,
    > Tim> but none of them showed the consensus Guido said at the start
    > Tim> would be needed for adoption.
    >
    > Perhaps there is a lesson for the next time a vote count comes around.
    > Although there wasn't a consensus on the syntactical form of a ternary
    > operator, there may be a consensus for the existence of one. This
    > suggests a runoff step is needed

    Holy cow, didn't you notice the endless threads on voting
    methods? There were two votes, both of which had various
    "instant runoff" sort of features.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Catsup and Mustard
    at all over the place! It's
    Grant Edwards, Jul 7, 2003