RE: apache/mod_wsgi daemon mode

Discussion in 'Python' started by Scott SA, Feb 3, 2008.

  1. Scott SA

    Scott SA Guest

    On 2/3/08, Brian Smith () wrote:

    >Scott SA wrote:
    >> I am trying to configure mod_wsgi to run in daemon mode with
    >> Apache. I can easily get it to run 'normally' under Apache
    >> but I obtain permission errors _or_ process-failures in
    >> daemon mode. Specifically:
    >>
    >> ... (13)Permission denied: mod_wsgi (pid=26962): Unable
    >> to connect
    >> to WSGI daemon process '<process-name>' on
    >> '/etc/httpd/logs/wsgi.26957.0.1.sock' after multiple attempts.

    >> The host is Apache 2.2n under CentOS 5.1 i386 running Python 2.4

    >Try again after "sudo /usr/sbin/setenforce 0". If it works with SELinux
    >disabled then you will have to do a bit more work to get it working with
    >SELinux enabled. I suggest creating a directory that is labeled with the
    >Apache read/write type, and setting the WSGI socket prefix such that the
    >domain sockets will get put in that directory. If that doesn't solve the
    >problem then use the procedures in the SELinux documentation to create a
    >security policy. And then, please share it with me. :)

    I disabled SELinux during system install and have double-checked it is not running.

    >Also, mod_wsgi has its own mailing list:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/modwsgi

    I had previoiusly done what I _thought_ was a good job of searching the wsgi mailing list (really!). A reworking of my google search parameters finally yeildd a helpful thread:

    <http://groups.google.com/group/modwsgi/browse_thread/thread/6d3a2f4d7c294dc/ba5cd5055bb5cc62?lnk=gst&q=daemon+unable-to-connect#ba5cd5055bb5cc62>

    The problem was WSGI trying to create its .sock file in /var/log/httpd but failing and therefore not running at all. The user I had specified did not have enough permissions to do so (part of the point _of_ running in daemon mode, LOL). Oddly, I had attempted to grant the permissions for the user but see now there was an error in how I did that... oops.

    By adding the following to my config:

    WSGISocketPrefix /tmp/wsgi

    We now have successss!

    So my config now looks like:

    WSGISocketPrefix /tmp/wsgi

    <VirtualHost host.domain.com:80>
    ServerName host.domain.com

    WSGIDaemonProcess <process-name> user=<user> group=<group> threads=10 \
    maximum-requests=500

    WSGIScriptAlias /something /path/to/<script>.wsgi

    <Directory /path/to/<script>.wsgi>
    WSGIApplicationGroup <user>
    WSGIProcessGroup <process-name>

    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
    </Directory>

    Thanks, Brian, for pointing me back to the modwsgi list for another look!

    Scott

    Scott SA, Feb 3, 2008

  2. On Feb 4, 10:33 am, Scott SA <> wrote:
    > On 2/3/08, Brian Smith () wrote:
    > >Scott SA wrote:
    > >> I am trying to configure mod_wsgi to run in daemon mode with
    > >> Apache. I can easily get it to run 'normally' under Apache
    > >> but I obtain permission errors _or_ process-failures in
    > >> daemon mode. Specifically:

    > >> ... (13)Permission denied: mod_wsgi (pid=26962): Unable
    > >> to connect
    > >> to WSGI daemon process '<process-name>' on
    > >> '/etc/httpd/logs/wsgi.26957.0.1.sock' after multiple attempts.

    > I had previoiusly done what I _thought_ was a good job of searching the wsgi mailing list (really!). A reworking of my google search parameters finally yeildd a helpful thread:
    >
    > <http://groups.google.com/group/modwsgi/browse_thread/thread/6d3a2f4d7...>
    >
    > The problem was WSGI trying to create its .sock file in /var/log/httpd but failing and therefore not running at all. The user I had specified did not have enough permissions to do so (part of the point _of_ running in daemon mode, LOL). Oddly, I had attempted to grant the permissions for the user but see now there was an error in how I did that... oops.
    >
    > By adding the following to my config:
    >
    > WSGISocketPrefix /tmp/wsgi

    Also documented in:

    http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationIssues

    Since you have given a real live example error message from logs for
    when it goes wrong, I'll be able to include this in the documentation.
    That may make it easier for others to find that page when they do a
    Google search. At the moment the page only mentioned that you would
    get a '503 Service Temporarily Unavailable' response in browser.

    Graham

    Graham Dumpleton, Feb 3, 2008