Re: artificial intelligence?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Istvan Albert, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Arthur wrote:
    > """
    > Dear Amazon.com Customer,
    >
    > We've noticed that customers who have purchased books by Mark Lutz often
    > enjoy the books of Sedi 200. So you might like to know that Sedi 200's
    > newest book, Earth's Core and Lower Mantle (Fluid Mechanics of Astrophysics
    > and Geophysics, V.11),
    >
    > """
    >
    > Sure read my mind, didn't they?
    >
    > Any theories on how the Amazon.com AI machine got this far off track?

    The way I interpret this is that your tastes are similar to those
    of "Sedi 200". This user's latest purchase was a geophysics books.

    Discovering so called "serendipitous" items, items that cannot
    be related with classical methods (say content or author) yet
    are very desirable to the consumer is the holy
    grail of personalization. As the example above shows it
    can go totally gaga.

    Istvan.
    Istvan Albert, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Istvan Albert

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Istvan Albert" <> wrote in message
    > Arthur wrote:
    > > """
    > > Dear Amazon.com Customer,
    > >
    > > We've noticed that customers who have purchased books by Mark Lutz

    often
    > > enjoy the books of Sedi 200. So you might like to know that Sedi

    200's
    > > newest book, Earth's Core and Lower Mantle (Fluid Mechanics of

    Astrophysics
    > > and Geophysics, V.11),
    > >
    > > """
    > >
    > > Sure read my mind, didn't they?
    > >
    > > Any theories on how the Amazon.com AI machine got this far off

    track?

    > The way I interpret this is that your tastes are similar to those
    > of "Sedi 200". This user's latest purchase was a geophysics books.

    > Discovering so called "serendipitous" items, items that cannot
    > be related with classical methods (say content or author) yet
    > are very desirable to the consumer is the holy
    > grail of personalization. As the example above shows it
    > can go totally gaga.

    Really. SEDI is the acronym of the symposium (7th) that this is the
    proceedings of. The Sedi 200 would be the participants listed
    collectively as authors. There are also 5 individual humans listed
    (as editors). Maybe there was some notice about using Python in
    geophysic and the symposium book in one journal, so there was a sudden
    spat of, say, three people who bought both. (The SEDI book is $120 so
    Mark's book would look cheap by comparison.

    Terry J. Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Istvan Albert

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Istvan Albert wrote:

    > Arthur wrote:
    > > We've noticed that customers who have purchased books by Mark Lutz often
    > > enjoy the books of Sedi 200. So you might like to know that Sedi 200's
    > > newest book, Earth's Core and Lower Mantle (Fluid Mechanics of Astrophysics
    > > and Geophysics, V.11),
    > > """
    > >
    > > Any theories on how the Amazon.com AI machine got this far off track?

    > Discovering so called "serendipitous" items, items that cannot
    > be related with classical methods (say content or author) yet
    > are very desirable to the consumer is the holy
    > grail of personalization. As the example above shows it
    > can go totally gaga.

    Why "gaga"? Has anyone actually purchased "Earth's Core and Lower Mantle"?

    It could be an absolutely un-put-downable book!

    Maybe Amazon is *right*... ;-0

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Sep 2, 2003