Re: ASP 3 Debugging and Tracing in VB.Net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bruce Wayne, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Bruce Wayne

    Bruce Wayne Guest

    Hi,

    Is it possible to Trace and Debug VBScript / ASP 3 / IIS5 applications in
    the Visual Basic.Net IDE? (not full VS.Net, I'm pretty positive it is there)

    If so, in a nutshell, what's the fastest way to set it up? I'm getting my
    hands on a trial tomorrow and would like to get it up and running ASAP.

    Cheers,
    Bruce

    PS. Just found this http://www.script-debugger.com/ but haven't got it
    working yet either. Cant attach to a process.

    Bruce Wayne, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Bruce Wayne wrote:
    > Is it possible to Trace and Debug VBScript / ASP 3 / IIS5 applications

    in
    > the Visual Basic.Net IDE? (not full VS.Net, I'm pretty positive it is
    > there)
    >
    > If so, in a nutshell, what's the fastest way to set it up? I'm getting

    my
    > hands on a trial tomorrow and would like to get it up and running ASAP.

    I would start with this article. It will explain the settings you need to
    setup on the server.

    HOWTO: Debug ASP Applications Manually Against Windows 2000 Web Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258929

    When you get to attaching to the processes, make sure that you select
    "script" as the type of debugging you want to do.

    Brian Baker
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP / ASP.NET
    Please post responses to the group
    Brian Baker [MVP], Oct 15, 2003

  3. Bruce Wayne

    Sue Parker Guest

    I downloaded this editor/debugger. It is the editor to end all editors.
    It's seems to have been released quite recently (8/03)as there are very few
    messages in the forum and not all the features seem to be there (or I can't
    figure out how to get them to work). The author's english, documentation
    and/or thought patterns leave much to be desired.

    Anyway after much pondering, I figured out that to get the debugger going:
    1)click of the name of the application/process (IE, ASP, etc.), 2)click the
    "Attach" command to the left, 3)then expand the process down to the page you
    want to debug, 4)click on it and finally 5)click the "Open" command still
    within the Debug dialog box.

    Lo and behold it would step though the ASP as long as I was on the same
    computer as the seb server. I had trouble getting it to step though both
    the server and client side code. And there was one message about it not
    working with the new process model in IIS6. There was also some talk about
    it making Microsoft's debugger fail.

    Being so expensive, $250 and not fully ready for prime time, I'm debating on
    whether to use it or not. But as far as features go it's got in all.
    Including an embedded browser with tabbed pages that let's you easily switch
    between viewing, debugging and editing the page in question. It's a WYSIWYG
    HTML editor with a Stylesheet creater (that I couldn't get to work) and I
    create and debug simlple forms for WSH -- something I've wanted for a long
    time, but not with an extra .DLL. And it somes with FTP Explorer - a
    product that's been around for years. I wonder if this same guy wrote that.
    Shareware21.com says he's from the "Russian Federation". In all it's quite
    impressive, but the jury is still out.

    Robin Mattern

    Sue Parker, Oct 30, 2003