Re: ASP.NET application cannot access network drive

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by James N, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. James N

    James N Guest

    Oh, one more thing to note, and this may probably invalidate my whole
    reasoning above. A lot of advices I get from ppl on these forums is to
    create a user account on the NAS that matches the user account that the
    Windows' aspnet_wp.exe worker process uses. What I did above is the
    same thing, just that I didnt not set a password for the account.

    So I decided to try setting a same password for the "ASPNET" user both
    in Windows ("Admin Tools" -> "Comp Management" -> "Local Users and
    Groups" -> "Users") and in NAS. I also modifed the <processModel> tags
    in machine.config so that username/password = "ASPNET"/"(password)".
    Strangely, this did not work.

    Some other people say to let the aspnet_wp.exe process use an existing
    Window user's account to run. So in machine.config I set
    username/password = "myUsername"/"(myPassword)". I created the same
    account on the NAS as well. Again, sadly, this method did not work
    either.

    But who cares now??!! It working!! LOL

    James N, Jul 18, 2003

  2. James N

    Jeff Trotman Guest

    Glad you got it working. Just to clarify what I was saying (although this
    does not appear to have
    been the problem)

    If you have login to your computer as "User1" and map a drive (say N:) to a
    network share called
    \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME and check the box to make the connection persistent
    and then
    logoff and log back in as User1, N: will still connect to
    \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME. But,
    if you logoff and log in as a different user (User2), User2 will not have a
    N drive. This has nothing
    to do with whether User2 has permissions for \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME, just
    that User2's
    profile on this machine hasn't mapped N: to \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME. He can,
    but he hasn't
    yet.

    Now imagine that your account is User1 and ASPNET is User2. If you use a
    mapped drive in your code
    (N:\...) as opposed to UNC (\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME), when it runs as ASPNET
    the N drive
    isn't available unless you login as ASPNET and map the drive for that
    profile.

    I don't know if this clarifies or muddies the water, but that's what I
    meant. Again, it appears to not
    have been your problem.

    JT

    Jeff Trotman, Jul 18, 2003