Re: ASP.NET Fails after SP4 with Impersonation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Raymond Basque, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Michael,

    See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];821546

    "Michael Kennedy [UB]" <> wrote in
    message news:ujp$...
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > Last night we installed SP4 on our Windows 2000 Advanced Server which was
    > are using as an ASP.NET web server (.NET 1.1). This morning we found out
    > that our ASP.NET applications that use impersonation. That is from the
    > web.config:
    >
    > <identity impersonate="true" userName="DOMAIN\USER" password="PASSWORD" />
    >
    > fail with the message "Access Denied: Failed to start monitoring
    > c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myapp\default.aspx for changes."
    >
    > This application worked fine before. Moreover, if I remove the

    impersonation

    Raymond Basque, Jun 27, 2003

  2. It's impressive how quickly MS has addressed this issue.

    I would also be impressed if someone would tell me how we were supposed to
    know about this problem? There's a HUGE list of bug fixes in SP4. Were we
    supposed to read every one of those KB articles?

    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer

    "Raymond Basque" <_SPAM> wrote in message
    > Michael,
    >
    > See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];821546
    >

    > "Michael Kennedy [UB]" <> wrote in
    > message news:ujp$...
    > > Hi Everyone,
    > >
    > > Last night we installed SP4 on our Windows 2000 Advanced Server which

    was
    > > are using as an ASP.NET web server (.NET 1.1). This morning we found out
    > > that our ASP.NET applications that use impersonation. That is from the
    > > web.config:
    > >
    > > <identity impersonate="true" userName="DOMAIN\USER" password="PASSWORD"

    />

    John Saunders, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Thanks Raymond,

    That seems to be exactly the problem I'm encountering. I have tried taking
    all the steps mentioned in the KB article, but I'm still suffering the
    problem. I'll keep looking into it

    Thanks again!
    Michael

    Michael Kennedy [UB], Jun 28, 2003
  4. Raymond Basque

    M B Guest

    "John Saunders" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > It's impressive how quickly MS has addressed this issue.
    >
    > I would also be impressed if someone would tell me how we were supposed to
    > know about this problem? There's a HUGE list of bug fixes in SP4. Were we
    > supposed to read every one of those KB articles?

    Gee, maybe by reading the documents that are prominently listed on the main
    SP4 web page? The ones that Microsoft says all users should read? Only four
    documents are listed, and anybody who installs SP4 really should read all four:

    System Requirements
    Readme File
    Release Notes
    Windows 2000 SP4 FAQ

    Here's what that page says about the Release Notes:

    Release Notes for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
    See this article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for release notes
    and information about known issues. Read these notes carefully
    before you install SP4.

    The phrase "known issues" should cause any decent admin to realize
    that they really should read the info, as Microsoft recommends. The
    link for the Release Notes is:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813432

    You did read those notes carefully before you installed SP4, right?
    If so, you would have seen a very short page, listing eight items that
    represent differences in SP4 that might cause you problems. The
    very first one is this, under "Application Compatability":

    821546 Some Programs That Use Impersonation Do Not
    Work Correctly After You Install Windows 2000
    Service Pack 4

    Seemed very clear to me. It's already on our "investigation list" as we plan
    to rollout SP4.

    Microsoft's track record with reliability and lack of problems with Windows
    Service Packs may be improving, but it's not perfect. You should always
    read the available documentation first, even if you want to be on the
    bleeding edge, and install it on the first day it's available.

    M B, Jun 29, 2003