RE: ASP.NET Fails after SP4 with Impersonation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bassel Tabbara [MSFT], Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Hello Michael,
    Try to add read, execute, and list access for the account on the root Web
    site or on any virtual directory, follow these steps:

    1. In Windows Explorer, browse to the folder that contains the root Web
    site (which is C:\Inetpub\Wwwroot by default) or the virtual directory.

    2. Right-click the folder, and then click Properties.

    3. On the Security tab, click Add.

    4. Type "<ComputerName>\ASPNET" (without the quotation marks) (for
    example, on a computer named Webdev, type "Webdev\Account" (without the
    quotation marks)), and then click OK.

    5. Allow the following permissions for the custom account:

    - Read & Execute

    - List Folder Contents

    - Read

    6. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box and to save the changes.

    NOTE: You do not need to perform these steps if the Everyone group or the
    Users group has read access to the root Web site or virtual directory.

    You might check also the following Kb article:
    317955 FIX: "Failed to Start Monitoring Directory Changes" Error Message
    When
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317955

    Please let me know if this solves the problem.

    Thanks,
    Bassel Tabbara
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    --------------------
    | From: "Michael Kennedy [UB]" <>
    | Subject: ASP.NET Fails after SP4 with Impersonation
    | Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:53:47 -0700
    | Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.win2000.general

    Bassel Tabbara [MSFT], Jun 27, 2003

  2. Hi Bassel,

    Thanks. I think it may have been a combination of this and the KB article
    mentioned previously by Raymond. I'm still working on it however. There is
    something that is not quite right here. I'll let you know if I learn any
    more details.

    Michael

    ""Bassel Tabbara [MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Michael,
    > Try to add read, execute, and list access for the account on the root Web
    > site or on any virtual directory, follow these steps:
    >

    > 1. In Windows Explorer, browse to the folder that contains the root Web
    > site (which is C:\Inetpub\Wwwroot by default) or the virtual directory.
    >
    > 2. Right-click the folder, and then click Properties.
    >
    > 3. On the Security tab, click Add.
    >
    > 4. Type "<ComputerName>\ASPNET" (without the quotation marks) (for
    > example, on a computer named Webdev, type "Webdev\Account" (without the
    > quotation marks)), and then click OK.
    >
    > 5. Allow the following permissions for the custom account:
    >
    > - Read & Execute
    >
    > - List Folder Contents
    >
    > - Read
    >

    > 6. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box and to save the changes.
    >

    > NOTE: You do not need to perform these steps if the Everyone group or the
    > Users group has read access to the root Web site or virtual directory.
    >
    > You might check also the following Kb article:
    > 317955 FIX: "Failed to Start Monitoring Directory Changes" Error Message
    > When
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317955
    >

    > Please let me know if this solves the problem.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Bassel Tabbara
    > Microsoft, ASP.NET
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no

    rights.

    > --------------------
    > | From: "Michael Kennedy [UB]" <>
    > | Subject: ASP.NET Fails after SP4 with Impersonation
    > | Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:53:47 -0700
    > | Newsgroups:
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.win2000.general
    > |
    > | Hi Everyone,
    > |
    > | Last night we installed SP4 on our Windows 2000 Advanced Server which

    was
    > | are using as an ASP.NET web server (.NET 1.1). This morning we found out
    > | that our ASP.NET applications that use impersonation. That is from the
    > | web.config:
    > |
    > | <identity impersonate="true" userName="DOMAIN\USER" password="PASSWORD"

    />

    Michael Kennedy [UB], Jun 28, 2003