Re: ASP.NET Performance Counters are all zero ... ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Michael Carr, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Michael Carr

    Michael Carr Guest

    Further experimentation ...

    I changed the App Pool Identity to "Administrator" and then it worked!
    Obviously I don't want to run my ASP.NET service under the Administrator
    user, so I created a new user named "CustomASPNET" and added it to the
    IIS_WPG, but it didn't work. So then just for fun I added CustomASPNET into
    the exact same groups as the Administrator account but it STILL didn't
    work!! What the heck could be going on here?

    Some more info:
    1. My Server 2003 box is a PDC
    2. I am running Exchange 2003
    Do either of these mean anything?

    Michael Carr

    "John Soulis [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Michael,
    > One of the reasons for this is that the account the W3WP process is

    running
    > under does not have suffient rights.
    > Add the account that the W3WP process is running under to the IIS_WPG

    group.
    > Please let me know if this helps.
    > Thank you,
    > John Soulis
    > Microsoft, ASP.NET
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no

    rights.

    Michael Carr, Jan 9, 2004

  2. I will see what other information I can find on this. As I suspected, it is
    a permissions related issue.
    Thank you,
    John Soulis
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    John Soulis [MSFT], Jan 9, 2004

  3. Try this.
    Use regedt32.exe
    Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_1.1.4322\Names.

    Open the Security tab, and add the worker process identity with the
    following
    permissions:
    Query Value
    Set Value
    Create Subkey
    Enumerate Subkeys
    Notify
    Read Control

    Thank you,
    John Soulis
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    John Soulis [MSFT], Jan 9, 2004
  4. Michael Carr

    Michael Carr Guest

    Hey that worked!!

    Being that I have a very vanilla installation of Windows Server 2003, I
    think this solution deserves a Knowledgebase Article ... I definately would
    have never figured this out on my own and I spent half a day or so looking
    around on Google, Microsoft Support, MSDN, etc before posting the question
    here.

    Thanks a million!!

    Michael Carr, Jan 10, 2004
  5. This is in the works.