RE: aspnet_wp Problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jim Cheshire, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Jim Cheshire

    Jim Cheshire Guest

    Tibby,

    You should see a recycle in the Application Event Viewer log if you are
    using up memory like that. In any case, in order to diagnose this, we
    would need to get a dump fo the ASP.NET worker process and examine it in a
    debugger. That is beyond what we can do in the newsgroups, so if you want
    to go that route, please feel free to call us. (800) 936-5800.

    Jim Cheshire
    Developer Support
    ASP.NET

    --------------------
    >From: "Tibby" <>
    >Subject: aspnet_wp Problem
    >Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:37:03 -0400
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    >
    >I am having some massive problems with this. After a little while of

    usage,
    >my ASP App starts producing errinous resualts. I orrigionally had to

    reboot
    >the server, then found out that re-uploading the files does the same

    effect.

    Jim Cheshire, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Jim Cheshire

    Tibby Guest

    No recycle event. I'm beginning to wonder if it's more a combination of
    other factors, not soo much ASP.NET. I'm researching a way to forcefully
    destroy a session if someone closes the browser, no luck on that. I'm also
    going to move it onto another server and see what we can figure out from
    there. Right now, it's on one of our ADC's that also runs SQL and Exchange.
    Granted the machine is a Dual Xeon 2.2G with 1024MB RAM, but I've seen some
    problems with this RAM/CPU config in the past causing things to go slow, and
    I'm finding Exchange don't like to play nice wiht anything in the world!
    I'm going to do some, I guess you could say case studies, and see how
    things are reacting with different conditions. I'm sure my code is solid,
    but not going to swear by that, still pretty new to the ASP/ASP.NET thing.

    Thanks
    Tibmeister

    Tibby, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Jim Cheshire

    Tibby Guest

    Sorry, this just popped in reading some of the other postings. When I
    navigate to the page from anywhere BUT the webserver, things are fine. If I
    go to the page from the webserver, I get ASP.NET errors...can't fin d some
    compnent. Also, I did notice that the server has v1.1 of the framework, and
    I have v1.0.3705 and 1.1 and I'm thinking that I'm still using the older one
    since I've never figured out how to tell it what version to use. Wonder if
    that could also be a big problem. Hmmm....

    Tibby, Jul 29, 2003
  4. Jim Cheshire

    Jim Cheshire Guest

    Tibby,

    You can't destroy the session when the user closes the browser because HTTP
    is connectionless. The only way that you can know that a session is
    destroyed is by calling Session.Abandon or when the session expires.

    Jim Cheshire
    Developer Support
    ASP.NET

    --------------------
    >From: "Tibby" <>

    <>

    Jim Cheshire, Jul 29, 2003
  5. Jim Cheshire

    Jim Cheshire Guest

    Tibby,

    What is the error you receive?

    Compiling an assembly on 1.0 and running it on 1.1 is not a problem.

    Jim Cheshire
    Developer Support
    ASP.NET

    --------------------
    >From: "Tibby" <>

    <>

    Jim Cheshire, Jul 29, 2003
  6. Jim Cheshire

    Tibby Guest

    The exact text of the error is "Unable to find script
    '/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js'. Try placing this
    file manually or reinstall by running 'aspnet_regiis -c'."

    I did run aspnet_regiis -c, but got the error that I must have Local Admin
    priviliges, and I logged in as Domain Admin. Since this is an ADC, there is
    no local anything... I'm thinking I may have to move it to another server,
    which I'm not really looking forward to doing.

    Tibby, Jul 30, 2003
  7. Tibby,

    You can run on a DC without issues. You just have to be aware that as of
    ASP.NET 1.1, the worker process will run under the IWAM account by default.

    It seems as though your permissions are screwy somewhere. Possibly the
    Domain Admins group doesn't have correct permissions somewhere. The
    easiest way to resolve those types of issues is to use Filemon which is
    available from www.sysinternals.com.

    If you need to me to review a Filemon log of your attempt to run
    aspnet_regiis -c, feel free to send it to me by leaving off the "online" in
    my e-mail address.

    Jim Cheshire
    Developer Support
    ASP.NET

    --------------------
    >From: "Tibby" <>

    <>
    <#>
    <>
    <OA$>
    <>

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 30, 2003
  8. Jim Cheshire

    Tibby Guest

    I will have to check on that first thing in the morning. Been in meetings
    all day, so much fun!

    "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Tibby,
    >
    > You can run on a DC without issues. You just have to be aware that as of
    > ASP.NET 1.1, the worker process will run under the IWAM account by

    default.

    > It seems as though your permissions are screwy somewhere. Possibly the
    > Domain Admins group doesn't have correct permissions somewhere. The
    > easiest way to resolve those types of issues is to use Filemon which is
    > available from www.sysinternals.com.
    >
    > If you need to me to review a Filemon log of your attempt to run
    > aspnet_regiis -c, feel free to send it to me by leaving off the "online"

    in
    > my e-mail address.
    >
    > Jim Cheshire
    > Developer Support
    > ASP.NET
    >

    > This post is provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    > >From: "Tibby" <>

    > <>
    > <#>
    > <>
    > <OA$>
    > <>
    > >Subject: Re: aspnet_wp Problem
    > >Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:25:25 -0400
    > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    > >The exact text of the error is "Unable to find script
    > >'/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js'. Try placing

    this
    > >file manually or reinstall by running 'aspnet_regiis -c'."
    > >
    > >I did run aspnet_regiis -c, but got the error that I must have Local

    Admin
    > >priviliges, and I logged in as Domain Admin. Since this is an ADC, there

    > is
    > >no local anything... I'm thinking I may have to move it to another

    server,
    > >which I'm not really looking forward to doing.
    > >
    > >Tibmeister
    > >
    > >"Jim Cheshire (MS)" <> wrote in message
    > >> Tibby,
    > >>
    > >> In that case, you might want to try running aspnet_regiis -c to copy

    the
    > >> client-side scripts over. The verbatim on the error message would

    help.

    > >> Jim Cheshire
    > >> Developer Support
    > >> ASP.NET
    > >>

    > >> This post is provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >>
    > >> --------------------

    > >microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet:163052

    rights.

    When

    > fine.

    > >framework,

    > >older

    > >Wonder

    message

    Tibby, Jul 30, 2003
  9. Jim Cheshire

    Tibby Guest

    Well, what I ended up doing after scouring through hundreds of eventlog
    events, is manualy copied the scripts over, the both of them, into the
    c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\1_1_4322\ directory, and every
    is now copesetic. How friggin strange is that? Now just to figure out waz
    up wit da memory problem.

    Thanks for all your help and that utility is awsome!
    Tibmeister

    Tibby, Jul 31, 2003
  10. Hi Tibby,

    I'm glad you fixed it. Yep, Filemon and Regmon are both invaluable in
    troubleshooting problems with permissions and missing Registry entries and
    files. Not a bad site to bookmark. There are many other awesome tools
    there.

    Jim Cheshire
    Developer Support
    ASP.NET

    --------------------
    >From: "Tibby" <>

    <>
    <#>
    <>
    <OA$>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    >Subject: Re: aspnet_wp Problem
    >Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:22:09 -0400
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    >
    >Well, what I ended up doing after scouring through hundreds of eventlog
    >events, is manualy copied the scripts over, the both of them, into the
    >c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\1_1_4322\ directory, and every
    >is now copesetic. How friggin strange is that? Now just to figure out waz
    >up wit da memory problem.
    >
    >Thanks for all your help and that utility is awsome!
    >Tibmeister
    >"Tibby" <> wrote in message
    >> I will have to check on that first thing in the morning. Been in

    meetings
    >> all day, so much fun!
    >>
    >> "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    >> > Tibby,
    >> >
    >> > You can run on a DC without issues. You just have to be aware that as

    >of
    >> > ASP.NET 1.1, the worker process will run under the IWAM account by

    >> default.
    >> >
    >> > It seems as though your permissions are screwy somewhere. Possibly the
    >> > Domain Admins group doesn't have correct permissions somewhere. The
    >> > easiest way to resolve those types of issues is to use Filemon which is
    >> > available from www.sysinternals.com.
    >> >
    >> > If you need to me to review a Filemon log of your attempt to run
    >> > aspnet_regiis -c, feel free to send it to me by leaving off the

    "online"
    >> in
    >> > my e-mail address.
    >> >
    >> > Jim Cheshire
    >> > Developer Support
    >> > ASP.NET
    >> >

    >> > This post is provided as-is with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >> >
    >> > --------------------

    >> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet:163352

    >> this

    >> Admin

    >there
    >> > is

    >> server,

    >> the

    >> help.

    rights.

    message

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 31, 2003
  11. Jim Cheshire

    Tibby Guest

    My major baffle is I had all those permission problems, but everyone had
    full access tot he dirs, but after I manually copied them over and reran
    aspnet_regiis -c, no problems. How wiggie is that?

    Tibmeister

    Tibby, Jul 31, 2003