Re: Association list in component instantiations

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by rickman, Feb 5, 2011.

  1. rickman

    rickman Guest

    On Feb 4, 2:24 pm, Jonathan Bromley <>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 08:25:11 -0800 (PST), rickman  wrote:
    > >Why did you use the term "monadic" rather than "unary"?

    > Thanks - that's a bit of jargon that I must have
    > incorrectly absorbed from somewhere.  Now you've
    > provoked me into looking, I see that it's not even
    > strictly correct, at least not if you're a
    > mathematician or a (Haskell-style) functional
    > programmer.  As you may guess, I am neither.
    >
    > (Side note: some programming languages do tend to
    > use "monadic" and "dyadic" (and even "variadic")
    > to describe the number of arguments of a function.
    > APL is certainly one such.  Maybe they're wrong too.)
    >
    > > "Unary" is a much more common term

    > And rigorously accurate too.  The style-checker
    > in my head (which usually serves me tolerably well)
    > has no problem with "unary operator", but finds
    > the sound of "unary function" rather strange.
    > Time for a re-calibrate, maybe.
    >
    > Ho hum.  Still getting things wrong after all
    > these years :-(

    I didn't think much of it until I googled "monacdic" and found all
    sorts of incomprehensible info (at least to me) that only remotely
    seemed to apply to the context. Not being sure what monadic meant I
    had to search for awhile until I found one definition which said, "1.
    <programming> unary, when describing an operator or function."

    I was adding my bias when I said unary is more common. But it seems
    that monadic is equally correct, but there seems to be some
    specialized usage in programming languages that was the part I found
    incomprehensible.

    Rick
    rickman, Feb 5, 2011

  2. rickman

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message
    <>
    rickman <> wrote:

    > I didn't think much of it until I googled "monacdic" and found all
    > sorts of incomprehensible info (at least to me) that only remotely
    > seemed to apply to the context. Not being sure what monadic meant I
    > had to search for awhile until I found one definition which said, "1.
    > <programming> unary, when describing an operator or function."
    >
    > I was adding my bias when I said unary is more common. But it seems
    > that monadic is equally correct, but there seems to be some
    > specialized usage in programming languages that was the part I found
    > incomprehensible.

    I remember reading the words "monadic" and "dyadic" for the first
    time in the Motorola 6809 Preliminary Programmer's Reference
    Manual.

    Gosh, that's a long time ago.

    Dave
    Dave Higton, Feb 5, 2011