    -----Original Message-----
    From: python-list-bounces+bedouglas=
    [mailto:python-list-bounces+bedouglas=]On Behalf Of
    david brochu jr
    Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:05 AM
    Subject: Automate Mozilla Firefox

    Hey everyone,

    I am trying to automate navigating to urls (all from a txt file) 1 at a time
    in Firefox and then killing firefox before navigating to the next. I think I
    might have to use PyXPCOM to do this but I have never used this package and
    cannot find any good resources on the net to help me along. Anyone have an
    idea as to how I would do this or have any good resources they could point
    me to?

    Thanks
    bruce, Jul 26, 2006

  2. bruce

    Paul Boddie Guest

    bruce wrote:

    [Quoting "david"...]

    > > I am trying to automate navigating to urls (all from a txt file) 1 at a time
    > > in Firefox and then killing firefox before navigating to the next. I think I
    > > might have to use PyXPCOM to do this but I have never used this package and
    > > cannot find any good resources on the net to help me along. Anyone have an
    > > idea as to how I would do this or have any good resources they could point
    > > me to?

    > just what are you trying to do... are you trying to drive some functionality
    > of firefox? are you trying to parse web files??

    There are some plausible reasons for automating browsers rather than
    writing a script to download, parse, interpret, submit, and so on, not
    limited to things like getting good visual feedback, access to
    in-browser features that may be necessary to successfully access or
    interpret content, avoiding issues with server-side browser checks
    (possibly not limited to mere "user agent" testing), and a hopefully
    intuitive and sufficient model of the page to get and to produce the
    right information.

    > more information might allow someone to shed additional thoughts on a
    > solution..

    Well, PyXPCOM didn't support out-of-process automation last time I
    checked, and I haven't read anything on the PyXPCOM list [1] that would
    suggest otherwise. Meanwhile, there is support for automation of
    browsers like Internet Explorer and Konqueror [2] which may or may not
    be good enough for the questioner's needs, although the latter requires
    some non-standard components before it works, unfortunately.

    Paul

    [2] http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/qtxmldom.html
    http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/kpartplugins.html
    Paul Boddie, Jul 26, 2006