Re: avoid the redefinition of a function

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Sep 12, 2012.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 9/12/2012 8:56 AM, Jabba Laci wrote:

    > This will call the 2nd function. Now my functions are called step_ID
    > (like step_27(), step_28(), etc.). How to avoid the danger of
    > redefinition? Now, when I write a new function, I search for its name
    > to see if it's unique but there must be a better way.

    Before starting to write the new function, write a test and see if it
    fails with a "NameError new_name not found". The test failure also
    assures one that the test is being run. (I don't always test first, but
    I once discovered a test not being run when I modified it in a way that
    should have made it fail, but it didn't.)

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Sep 12, 2012