Re: Avoiding double spacing before a blockquote

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Adrienne

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Fred Camper"
    <> writing in

    > I'm trying to do a title followed by an indented list, but I don't want
    > numbers or bullets, so I'm trying to use blockquote. But it always
    > results in a double spacing before the blockquoted text; I don't want a
    > spacing, just the list starting on the very next line. I've been
    > reading about css but can't find a formatting method that will do this.
    > Is there any way? It doesn't have to be with blockquote. I just want it
    > to look like Title
    > Item One
    > Item Two
    > etc.
    > But I don't want to use the code for spaces because some of the items
    > will be much longer than a single line in at some screen resolutions,
    > and there will be no way to preserve the indents.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Here you go:

    <h1 style="margin-bottom:0em">Title</h1>
    <ul style="list-style-type:none; margin-top:0em">
    <li>Item One</li>
    <li>Item Two</li>
    </ul>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Adrienne

    Fred Camper Guest

    Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I'm pretty much a novice at this. I tried to get
    your commands to work by doing "style" commands in the head so that it would
    apply to everything I designated but that didn't work. Your commands do what
    I wanted if applied to each text list, though the title comes out in a very
    large font, but I managed to fix that by adding font-size:12pt to the h1
    style command. But the "title" is also bodlface, and adding
    font-style:normal doesn't work; is there any way I can get the title to
    appear in "normal" font (or italics?)

    Thanks again.
    Fred Camper, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Adrienne

    > Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I'm pretty much a novice at this. I tried
    > to get your commands to work by doing "style" commands in the head so
    > that it would apply to everything I designated but that didn't work.
    > Your commands do what I wanted if applied to each text list, though the
    > title comes out in a very large font, but I managed to fix that by
    > adding font-size:12pt to the h1 style command. But the "title" is also
    > bodlface, and adding font-style:normal doesn't work; is there any way I
    > can get the title to appear in "normal" font (or italics?)
    >
    > Thanks again.

    You're looking for font-weight:normal . In addition, use em or percentages
    for font-size.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Adrienne

    Fred Camper Guest

    Yesssss!

    > You're looking for font-weight:normal . In addition, use em or
    percentages
    > for font-size.

    Thanks so much for taking the trouble to answer me. That really worked. And
    I spent some hours learning the basics of CSS before posting here, which I'm
    sure will prove useful later, but which didn't tell me how to do this. I
    figured out to add a margin-bottom:0em to the ul style so that the line
    under the list won't have a break either, and now it looks exactly as I
    wanted.

    You may not want to take time to answer this, but if you are willing: is it
    OK to use the normal html font size commands and <i> etc. tags within these
    blocks defined by <ul style=>? I've done so and it seems to work in both
    Netscape and IE.

    I've got no knowledge of html or CSS that would be useful to you, but if
    you're interested in information on obscure avant-garde/"experimental" films
    and some older Hollywood and foreign films, look at
    http://www.fredcamper.com/

    Fred
    Fred Camper, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Adrienne

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:48:27 -0500, "Fred Camper"
    <> wrote:

    : Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I'm pretty much a novice at this. I tried to get
    : your commands to work by doing "style" commands in the head so that it would
    : apply to everything I designated but that didn't work. Your commands do what
    : I wanted if applied to each text list, though the title comes out in a very
    : large font, but I managed to fix that by adding font-size:12pt to the h1
    : style command. But the "title" is also bodlface, and adding
    : font-style:normal doesn't work; is there any way I can get the title to
    : appear in "normal" font (or italics?)
    :
    : Thanks again.
    :

    It's all explained here:
    http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/hands_on_tutorial/

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Adrienne

    Fred Camper Guest

    Re: Yesssss!

    I take the point that the CSS font style command would be easier, and I can
    see using it in the future (just having learned some minimal CSS), but is
    there anything wrong with using the html font size and Italics tags in terms
    of how the page displays? As I've said, it looks fine in both Netscape (7)
    and IE (6).

    Thanks in advance.

    Fred Camper
    Fred Camper, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Adrienne

    Fred Camper Guest

    Fred Camper, Aug 7, 2003
  8. Adrienne

    Adrienne Guest

    Re: Yesssss!

    > I take the point that the CSS font style command would be easier, and I
    > can see using it in the future (just having learned some minimal CSS),
    > but is there anything wrong with using the html font size and Italics
    > tags in terms of how the page displays? As I've said, it looks fine in
    > both Netscape (7) and IE (6).
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Fred Camper

    The font element is depreciated, and you should be using <em> instead of
    looks okay in a browser, but whether the markup is logical. For example:
    "I <em>really</em> mean it." You are putting emphasis on "really", and
    "Get in here <strong>now</strong>!", conveys a strong emphasis on "now".

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Aug 7, 2003
  9. Adrienne

    Fred Camper Guest

    Well....

    Taking your advice, I've made this

    h2 {
    font-size: 80%;
    margin-bottom:0em;
    margin-top:0em;
    font-weight:normal}

    To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want. Problem is,
    when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break. Maybe I'm not
    searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break the line at
    this tag" command; is there one?

    Also, are you recommending em and strong for pages using CSS, or for all
    HTML pages?

    Thanks in advance.

    Fred
    Fred Camper, Aug 7, 2003
  10. Re: Well....

    Fred Camper pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > Taking your advice, I've made this
    >
    > h2 {
    > font-size: 80%;
    > margin-bottom:0em;
    > margin-top:0em;
    > font-weight:normal}

    h2 should be about 140% or so, not less than the default normal size.

    > To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want.

    ...then use a style like this:

    ..smaller {
    font-size: 90% }

    and place the text in a paragraph:

    > Problem is,
    > when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break. Maybe I'm not
    > searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break the line at
    > this tag" command; is there one?

    <h2> (h1-h6) is a heading, and should break the line. Non-breaking text
    would be in a paragraph.

    > Also, are you recommending em and strong for pages using CSS, or for all
    > HTML pages?

    All pages.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 7, 2003
  11. Adrienne

    Headless Guest

    Re: Well....

    "Fred Camper" <> wrote:

    >Taking your advice,

    What advice? Don't post a new message, follow up to the thread you are
    referring to.

    >To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want. Problem is,
    >when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break. Maybe I'm not
    >searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break the line at
    >this tag" command; is there one?

    ..inline{display:inline}

    <h2 class="inline">Inline header</h2>

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm
    Headless, Aug 7, 2003
  12. Adrienne

    Headless Guest

    Re: Well....

    Headless <> wrote:

    >>To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want. Problem is,
    >>when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break. Maybe I'm not
    >>searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break the line at
    >>this tag" command; is there one?

    >.inline{display:inline}
    >
    ><h2 class="inline">Inline header</h2>

    Or better:

    ..run-in{display:run-in}

    <h2 class="run-in">Run-in header</h2>

    But only Opera supports that.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm
    Headless, Aug 7, 2003
  13. Re: Well....

    Fred Camper wrote:
    > Taking your advice, I've made this
    >
    > h2 {
    > font-size: 80%;
    > margin-bottom:0em;
    > margin-top:0em;
    > font-weight:normal}
    >
    > To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want. Problem
    > is, when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break.

    CSS:
    span { font-size: 80%;}

    HTML:

    > Maybe I'm
    > not searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break
    > the line at this tag" command; is there one?

    for block items like h2 etc.

    CSS: {display:inline;}

    > Also, are you recommending em and strong for pages using CSS, or for
    > all HTML pages?

    All HTML pages.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Aug 7, 2003
  14. Adrienne

    Fred Camper Guest

    Re: Well....

    "Headless" <> wrote in message
    > "Fred Camper" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Taking your advice,

    > What advice? Don't post a new message, follow up to the thread you are
    > referring to.

    I'm a little confused here, or you are: the message right above mine in the
    thread from Adrienne was the one I was resonding to.

    BUT, your advice worked just fine, and I thank you very very much. Again I
    spent an hour or two searching around without success. Maybe if I knew more
    about CSS I would have been able to solve this myself, but anyway, now I've
    been able to get the one page I was working on to look just as I wanted. So,
    thanks again!

    Fred
    Fred Camper, Aug 8, 2003
  15. Re: Well....

    Fred Camper wrote:
    > "Headless" <> wrote in message
    >> "Fred Camper" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Taking your advice,

    >> What advice? Don't post a new message, follow up to the thread you
    >> are referring to.

    > I'm a little confused here, or you are: the message right above mine
    > in the thread from Adrienne was the one I was resonding to.

    Not all news group readers are the same.
    Many folk read each post in timestamp sequence.
    News servers often miss posts.

    Research with your favourite search engine, but here's a starter: <
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post >

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Aug 8, 2003
  16. Adrienne

    Headless Guest

    Headless, Aug 9, 2003
  17. Adrienne

    Headless Guest

    Re: Uh-Oh, Netscape bug? (For WilliamTasso and Headless, or anyone else)

    Headless <> wrote:

    >"Fred Camper" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Please take a look at these:
    >>http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN2.html
    >>http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN3.html

    >Terrible markup, an attempt at correction:
    >
    >http://www.headless.dna.ie/test/fred.htm

    I should add that my markup is also pretty awful, this is because IE and
    Moz fail to support the proper way to do this (run-in headers), and the
    &nbsp;'s are to counter an IE white space bug (I'm assuming that you
    want it to work in IE).

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm
    Headless, Aug 9, 2003
  18. William Tasso, Aug 9, 2003
  19. Adrienne

    Fred Camper Guest

    Re: Uh-Oh, Netscape bug? (For WilliamTasso and Headless, or anyone else)

    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. As I said in replying to Headless, I'm
    sure it's evident that I have no idea what I'm doing, and I appreciate your
    time. Since this is a very large page, around 400 lines, separating things
    into columns using a table is a good suggestion.

    If you're tired of replying to this, I understand, but what you haven't done
    is shown me how to display a smaller font size in the same line without
    using the font size=-1 command, which does it just fine but which I've been
    told not to use in this CSS page. As I said above, my example at
    http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN2.html incorporating your previous
    suggestion does do this in IE 6.0 but fails in one of the "test" texts in
    Netscape 7.0, and displays it on another line, and I cannot figure out why.
    It's very tempting to just use font size, which does seem to work in both. I
    wonder if this is just some Netsacpe bug.

    Fred
    Fred Camper, Aug 9, 2003
  20. Adrienne

    Headless Guest

    Re: Well...

    "Fred Camper" <> wrote:

    Point of order: follow up to a previous message, don't post a new
    message.

    >But, your test just doesn't accomplish what I want, however "terrible" my
    >own markup is. What I'm trying to do is to display an 80 per cent font in
    >the same line as a 100 per cent font.

    The problem is that it's impossible to markup silly content that makes
    no sense such as "test", so I removed it.

    >In my version, at
    >http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN3.html, that happens fine in IE, and
    >fine most of the time in Netscape, but sometimes in Netscape 7.0 the "test"
    >smaller font is displayed on the next line -- something that doesn't happen
    >when I get the smaller font size with the font size=-1 command, which I've
    >been advised here not to use. Now, on your page, at
    >http://www.headless.dna.ie/test/fred.htm.
    >though the "test" words that are supposed to be 80 per cent are in your
    >code, for some reason they don't show up on the screen at all in Netscape or
    >IE.

    I've redone the example, this time I based it on IE's display (assuming
    that this is what you would like it to look like). Try it again:

    Headless, Aug 9, 2003