Re: Awesome use of CSS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Davmagic com, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Davmagic com

    Davmagic com Guest

    >From:
    >(kchayka)
    >I have convinced myself that the viewer
    >does not give an accurate representation
    >of what the real MSN-TV renders, but I
    >have no proof of this. The viewer does
    >have a particular problem with % widths,
    >rendering px units instead. This is
    >*seriously* bad. I wish I knew if the real
    >thing has this problem or not. If not, then
    >the viewer is totally worthless as a
    >developer tool.

    I have plenty of width values in percentages on my site and the MSN-TV
    Viewer renders the pages correctly! And the "real" Browser renders them
    correctly too! The Viewer is not a total loss for developers but "real"
    testing should always be done on a "real" MSN-TV Receiver...

    The issue on CSS is partially correct, in that the MSN Developer site
    indicates certain CSS elements as functional, when infact they are not
    (on the MSN-TV Browser) for example "hover" does not function, "float
    left or right" does not function, CSS-P works only to a limited extent
    but can render different results from IE5+ or NN7+...

    I will be more than happy to "test view" anyone's pages on my
    Receiver...

    Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    INFO 2000 For You
    http://www.davmagic.com
    See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
    Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp
    Davmagic com, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Davmagic com

    Dexter J Guest

    Salutations:

    Davmagic com wrote:

    > >From:
    > >(kchayka)
    > >I have convinced myself that the viewer
    > >does not give an accurate representation
    > >of what the real MSN-TV renders, but I
    > >have no proof of this. The viewer does
    > >have a particular problem with % widths,
    > >rendering px units instead. This is
    > >*seriously* bad. I wish I knew if the real
    > >thing has this problem or not. If not, then
    > >the viewer is totally worthless as a
    > >developer tool.

    > I have plenty of width values in percentages on my site and the MSN-TV
    > Viewer renders the pages correctly! And the "real" Browser renders them
    > correctly too! The Viewer is not a total loss for developers but "real"
    > testing should always be done on a "real" MSN-TV Receiver...
    >
    > The issue on CSS is partially correct, in that the MSN Developer site
    > indicates certain CSS elements as functional, when infact they are not
    > (on the MSN-TV Browser) for example "hover" does not function, "float
    > left or right" does not function, CSS-P works only to a limited extent
    > but can render different results from IE5+ or NN7+...
    >
    > I will be more than happy to "test view" anyone's pages on my
    > Receiver...
    >
    > Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    > INFO 2000 For You
    > http://www.davmagic.com
    > See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
    > Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

    I would be interested in what happens to my site on MSN-TV browser as I
    mentioned above - could I trouble you for a quick pass? I'm using base
    Flash 4 .swf to address a perl backend..

    --

    J Dexter - webmaster - http://www.dexterdyne.org/
    no news no phone in - RealAudio 8+ Required - all the Time

    Radio Free Dexterdyne Top Tune o'be-do-da-day
    Martin Lee - You Was
    http://www.dexterdyne.org/888/098.RAM
    Dexter J, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Davmagic com

    kchayka Guest

    Davmagic com wrote:
    >> From: (kchayka)
    >> I have convinced myself that
    >> the viewer does not give an accurate representation of what the
    >> real MSN-TV renders, but I have no proof of this. The viewer does
    >> have a particular problem with % widths, rendering px units
    >> instead. This is *seriously* bad. I wish I knew if the real thing
    >> has this problem or not. If not, then the viewer is totally
    >> worthless as a developer tool.

    > I have plenty of width values in percentages on my site and the
    > MSN-TV Viewer renders the pages correctly!

    You don't use a CSS layout, but a table layout. Totally different
    animal. The viewer apparently doesn't barf too badly on plain old HTML.

    > The Viewer is not a total loss for
    > developers but "real" testing should always be done on a "real"
    > MSN-TV Receiver...

    I don't know anyone who uses MSN-TV, and I am not about to waste my own
    money on it. There are so few users that it is hardly worth the trouble
    of testing for it, anyway, but I sometimes feel obligated because I
    don't like shutting _anyone_ out.

    > The issue on CSS is partially correct, in that the MSN Developer site
    > indicates certain CSS elements as functional, when infact they are
    > not (on the MSN-TV Browser)

    What would be helpful would be a detailed list of discrepancies. I
    already found out that floats don't work, % widths don't work, absolute
    positioning doesn't work, margins don't work... the list is long. One
    thing that you can confirm is whether or not @import works. The MSN
    site claims it doesn't, but I've had very mixed results.

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)ns(dash). Mail sent to the ns
    address is automatically deleted and will not be read.
    kchayka, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Davmagic com

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:33:27 -0500, kchayka <>
    wrote:

    >One
    >thing that you can confirm is whether or not @import works. The MSN
    >site claims it doesn't, but I've had very mixed results.

    Recent versions appear to do so (although I can't provide any useful
    definition of "recent"). This is unfortunate because I'm using @import
    to pull in my "modern" css which recent browsers can handle, but
    apparently the MSN TV viewer fails to handle almost everything I have in
    there. So, although I hate to admit it, my script that generates my
    headers for me detects the WebTV user agent string and doesn't spit out
    the @import line for them.

    --
    Greg Schmidt ()
    Trawna Publications (http://www.trawna.com/)