Re: AWT vs SWING vs JAVA 2D vs JFC

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lew, Jan 26, 2008.

  1. Lew

    Lew Guest

    Nehil wrote:
    > can you please describe or show me the path to find the difference
    > among 4. (mentioned in subject line)
    >
    > The basic difference i [sic] know, what i want is how to decide when to use
    > what?
    > In my view, awt [sic] is used no where these days.

    Not true. AWT /components/ are not used, but the AWT /library/ lives on.
    Strictly speaking, Swing is part of the AWT library.

    > swing [sic] and Java 2D (what is this?) are used mostly but which to choose
    > for my application, how to decide?

    Java 2D is to manipulate graphic images. Swing renders GUI components.

    Choose the former when you need to manipulate graphic images. Choose the
    latter when you need to render GUI components.

    > and What is JFC all about?

    It's all about having a cute name ("Java Foundation Classes") and
    corresponding acronym for Swing and related libraries. I don't see the term
    used much any more.

    > Please don't consider it as crosspost, i found this more appropriate
    > community, acc to my subject line, later.

    "Considered" or not, it's not a cross-post, it's a multi-post. "Cross-post"
    has all the groups in the address at once; "multi-post" is sent separately.

    Just to keep the terminology straight.

    I'm not sure how much good reposting did, given that just about everyone who
    cares about clj.gui also reads clj.programmer. I took the liberty of
    cross-posting this reply in order to unify the threads.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 26, 2008