RE: Barcode generator for Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Precedo, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. John Precedo

    John Precedo Guest

    jennyw said in a recent posting to the python list:
    > Does anyone know of a barcode generator for Python? I'm looking to do
    > this on Windows. It would be nice to find something free, but that's not
    > necessary (so long as it's reasonable). It doesn't have to be
    > Python-specific, either, so long as I can call it from Python. I'd love
    > to hear any suggestions.

    The reportlab open source toolkit has a very nice barcode widget. It's
    capable of creating the following
    I2of5
    MSI
    Codabar
    Code 11
    Code 39
    Extended Code 39
    Code93
    Extended Code93
    Code 128
    USPS FIM
    USPS POSTNET

    This isn't actually included in the standard distribution. It is a third
    party extension package written by
    Tyler C. Sarna <> - you can download it from
    http://www.reportlab.com/extensions.html.

    By default, the open source toolkit creates PDF files, but if you use the
    graphics subpackage you can create bitmaps (GIF, Jpegs, PNG etc) using the
    renderPM renderer.

    If all you want is some barcodes done as images, this may be overkill (by
    quite a large amount). However, if you need to create PDF files, or need to
    create other graphics and charts as bitmap images as well as barcodes then
    it may be the exact solution you are looking for.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    John

    --