Re: Basic question about speed/coding style/memory

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andrew Berg, Jul 21, 2012.

  1. Andrew Berg

    Andrew Berg Guest

    On 7/21/2012 2:33 AM, Jan Riechers wrote:
    > Block
    > versus this block:
    > Now, very briefly, what is the better way to proceed in terms of
    > execution speed, readability, coding style?

    Using if/else is the most readable in the general sense. Using return
    (or break or continue as applicable) in this manner would indicate (at
    least to me) that it's an exceptional or otherwise special case and that
    the function can't do what it's supposed to. In that case, I would try
    to catch an exception rather than use if/else whenever possible. I
    highly doubt there is a significant performance difference between them.
    --
    CPython 3.3.0b1 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17803

    Andrew Berg, Jul 21, 2012