Re: Beginners Question - Center Webpage on Screen

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Aug 17, 2010.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > A page can be fluidly designed and adapt to the browser's size AND still
    > have margins on the left and right. My site is that way. If you resize
    > the browser the pages content will adjust without breaking or requiring
    > a horizontal scroll (within reason of course) but there will still be
    > margins on each side of the content for design reasons.

    Yes, that is the argument and a good one if it also combined with
    usability in mind. The fact is that many web pages simply don't
    have type or amount of material that would look good or even be
    particularly easy to use if it *did* fill the whole width of the
    screen.

    There is no good *general argument* about this matter. Much
    trouble comes from fixed *pixel* contained sites. But not all
    these are necessarily bad if the material comfortably fits it.
    Sure, 800px makes a lousy and dangerous *template*!

    OP might not know that if it pisses him off too much, he could
    try disabling all styles. But he might be disappointed. The types
    that regularly go for fixed pixel width site containers are quite
    often the types who would not know what semantic markup - good,
    meaningful HTML - was if it was a week dead unrefrigerated
    haddock slapped across their faces.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 17, 2010