Re: benchmarks? java vs .net (binarytrees)

Discussion in 'C++' started by Arne Vajhøj, Jun 8, 2008.

  1. Lew wrote:
    > Razii wrote:
    >> but with processor speeds increasing faster than
    >> memory, missing the cache is probably an even bigger cost now than it
    >> was then.

    > You might not have noticed, but processor speeds have been flat for the
    > last several years, or actually declined.

    Processor speed is increasing at the same speed as ever.

    GHz rates are not. They reached the heat barrier. But GHz was
    never a good indication for speed.

    Growth in core speed has slowed down, because the the way processors
    get faster today is to add more cores.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 8, 2008

  2. Lew wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You might not have noticed, but processor speeds have been flat for
    >>> the last several years, or actually declined.

    >> Processor speed is increasing at the same speed as ever.
    >>
    >> GHz rates are not. They reached the heat barrier. But GHz was
    >> never a good indication for speed.
    >>
    >> Growth in core speed has slowed down, because the the way processors
    >> get faster today is to add more cores.

    > I believe you're speaking of processing speed. The term "processor
    > speed" has always meant clock speed of a processor in every context I've
    > encountered it heretofore.

    Could be. But that meaning does not fit very well with the original
    context.

    > Adding cores to a processor doesn't inherently make it faster. The
    > software has to take advantage of the additional cores.

    It makes it potential faster.

    It is up to the programmers to utilize the potential.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 8, 2008